Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

importing dinodirect 300mw green laser problems?

Hey guys, Im new to this forum and lasers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I recently purchased a 300mw firedragon (iii) laser from dinodirect and am wondering if i will have problems getting it past Customs. I didn't do that much research on U.S. laser laws prior to purchasing the item and am pretty worried. I know the US doesnt allow lasers over 5mw in, but didnt expect any issues due to the overwhelming amount of pacages customs deals with. I purchased the laser on 1/26/11 and have been tracking it ever since. Dino direct shiped it out using EMS snail mail because they said lasers would have a higher chance of being confiscated at customs if shipped using express mail. I have been reading many threads on the forum regaring this issue, and many of them have been horror stories about people having their lasers held at US customs for months and/or simply never getting them. I was wondering the likely hood of my laser actully being stopped at customs considering i saw people having this issue in 2009. I live in california(westcoast) (apparently the worst coast for shipping lasers) and have no idea how DinoDirect shipped my laser. In two boxes or one. I know that most people who ran into this problem were the ones posting these horror stories, and those who didnt most likely never posted. Explaining the overwhelming amount of problems vs succeses. Here is a coppy of my tracking info thus far.. Does this mean it was sent back to the shipper or am i still in good shape?
Status
  2011-01-27 18:57:00 GUANGZHOU Posting
  2011-01-27 20:29:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center
  2011-01-27 23:31:00 GUANGZHOU Arrival at Sorting Center
  2011-01-28 00:31:00 GUANGZHOU Handed over to Customs
  2011-01-28 09:46:00 GUANGZHOU Released from Customs
  2011-01-28 10:16:00 GUANGZHOU Despatch from Sorting Center

vk2fro

That data just said that the originating country (china) customs has inspected the package to ensure its not illegal to export from china. Chances are its now on a plane heading your way.

Thanks for the help VK. I was also wondering if you had any idea how long EMS takes to ship to the US? They havnt changed my tracking info that i posted in my last message, for the last 3 days. Does that mean its still in transit, or still sitting in their shipping yard...? I wish I knew where my stuff was. Its getting frustrating at how poorly EMS is at updating tracking info.