Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Important safety questions for a 1500 mW blue laser

Khelz

Hello there,

1) I would like to know if protective googles bought from DragonLasers (suitable for the Spartan 1W) would be also suitable for a 445nm 1.5W powered laser. I think they are, but you know, I want to make it 100% sure since last time I checked I only have two eyes. :eek:

2) I know it's more or less "safe" to look at the beam of a 1W Blue Laser pointed to the sky (where there is no planes of course) without safety googles. Is this statement also true for a 1.5W powered laser?

Thank you in advance for your answers. :)

Blord

All the safety features will be the same. You should handle any lasers above 5mW with care. As your questions, both are yes.

1 - Probably. DL glasses are considered to be reputable, although for the price there are better options out there.

2. - Yes.

diggy

For question 2, be cautious in the winter lol. Used my 1500mW 445nm in a crazy snow storm one night and you'd be surprised how much gets reflected off of giant snow flakes right in from of your beam as they fall.

Khelz

For question 2, be cautious in the winter lol. Used my 1500mW 445nm in a crazy snow storm one night and you'd be surprised how much gets reflected off of giant snow flakes right in from of your beam as they fall.

Lol all right, thank you, I will be extremely careful with such conditions :)

I was also wondering about something: I know it's dangerous to stare at the "dot" without protective googles, but is it also available outside, during day time, at some distance?

How dangerous is it to look at the "dot" on a non-reflective material?

Not that I don't want to wear the protective glasses, but I just want to be aware about the real dangers, risks, and understand them perfectly.

What the material is, what colour it is, how dilated your pupils are, and how reflective it is, factor greatly into calculations.
Better just not to look at any spot on a diffuse reflection surface within 10m of you without wearing goggles.