Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Impatience Wins!

I would like to announce my first successful match lighting with one of SenKats diodes! I was too impatient to wait for one of the parts I needed for the proper dirver circuit, so I ran the diode up on a variable power supply and started pumping at around 150ma, then SLOWLY turned the current up until I was reading around 230mA. I adjusted the Aixiz module for a good small spot at 1 meter and stuck a match into the beam - and got FLAMAGE in about 1.5 to 2 seconds.

I also was able to poke holes in some thin black plastic ( a case I store 1/8 watt resistors in! :) )

Thanks Senkat - the diodes are happy. So am I. Now I am awaiting the SMD version of the LM317T so I can make a driver circuit that fits into the Aixiz screw-on housing.

I have lost my High-power laser diode virginity! :)

Yippee!!!

Dave

Gazoo

Congratulations...but have you considered using the AMC7135? It would be a nice alternative.. ;)

Be careful about running it too much thers nothin to protect it from spikes, you should solder a cap onto the pins of the wire for now until you get a proper circuit.

...lazer... ;D ;D ;D

disma

I killed some early 5mw diodes with my bench supply, seems when I tured it off it would pulse - and kill the diode... I couldnt figure out how I had killed it untill I hooked my scope to the power supply. :eek:

Max

Hi,

Actually with the supply I'm using, I'm also running a scanning circuit (555, 74193 and 74154 running 16 leds), so when I connect, there's already a load on the supply, so no spike. I'm OK...

But yes, I want to run a good current source. I'll check out the other possibilities but have already ordered the SMT version of the 317 for now. I have 3 SenKat diodes now, I expect to buy a LOT more for playing! :)

Sawt - I believe they're called SOT252 packages. I've got my other computers shut down for now, but if I remember I'll post the package info. They're surface mount. Small, nice.

Yah belive me they will die no matter how safely you try to be something always happens lol, like i broke one by putting a lens from a disposable camera thats not ar coated and it reflected the light back into it and it broke :'( so far ive only killed 3 but each one you break the more you learn ;) (rembmer dont mix up wires thats bad :p killed 2 good ones with that)

...lazer.... ;D ;D ;D