Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm torn over which to get!

I have the Alpha 105 and Pyro in mind as well.

I asked DG to post a 120 second (duty cycle) power graph for the Pyro in their forums.

Here is the 20 second version power graph for the Pyro from DG web site.  :eek:

Attachments

• outputdgear.gif
    outputdgear.gif
    23.5 KB · Views: 131

Hi Monk,
I wouldn't put too much into this graph, except than a lasers output was measured on 1/09/2007.

Speaking from the experience of measuring output vs time on 1000's of lasers from many manufacturers, the shape of the plot produced from a pointer is as individual as the person buying it, they are all different in shape, even from run to run on the same laser the plot will change some. So unless you're buying the laser that produced this chart, it doesn't mean much.

I can say that this is not a typical output plot by any means.
In fact, of all the 1000's of pointers I've tested, none have produced a plot that look anything like this. They will all have some peaks, valleys and flat top spots in them.

The only plots I've seen that are this flat were made with TEC cooled/ controlled lab grade lasers and even then I'm not sure they could produce such a stable output (3.18%), well I suppose a good lab laser to get this amount of stability easy enough over a 20 dsecond period, but I would bet nearly anything that this is an output plot of a good lab laser rather than a battery operated laser pointer.

Jack

Rasel

I agree... something is fishy about that power graph... There's not even a peak spurt then a level out. It just stays stable right there.

T

timelord

I agree with Jack that graph is just not right mate, a graph should look something like this that I done with my 175mw Aries....

Attachments

• Aries_on_fresh_recharged_battries_001.jpg
    Aries_on_fresh_recharged_battries_001.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 105
Agreed also! I dare boast I've tested my fair share of lasers too. Unless thats a diode laser, you're not getting that type of stability without paying a large sum on some good TEC regulation.

Bah. Nova charges $50 to have the 3 second delay and dongle disabled, which is quite ridiculous if I may say so.

*Back to the drawing board*

LarryQ

I don't know....

50 bucks to have someone that knows their way around the guts of that laser, remove two safety features, and still retain warranty doesn't seem un-reasonable.

Thanks for that info...!!

I was curious about that mod.

At least I know it can be done...Now to figuire the "How" of it....

LarryQ

LarryQ said:
I don't know....

50 bucks to have someone that knows their way around the guts of that laser, remove two safety features, and still retain warranty doesn't seem un-reasonable.

Thanks for that info...!!

I was curious about that mod.

At least I know it can be done...Now to figuire the "How" of it....

LarryQ

Nah, it definitely is unreasonable to me, especially to someone who has already bought a product from them ;)

[highlight]Quote from Bob:[/highlight]

Bah.  Nova charges $50 to have the 3 second delay and dongle disabled, which is quite ridiculous if I may say so.

It's more than that:

Alpha-Series
Dimensions 23mm diameter x 193mm length
Battery Power Supply 2 [highlight]AA[/highlight] Batteries
Recommended Duty Cycle [highlight]200 sec[/highlight]. ON/20 sec. OFF

X-Series
Dimensions 13mm diameter x 150mm length
Battery Power Supply 2 [highlight]AAA[/highlight] Batteries
Recommended Duty Cycle [highlight]100 sec[/highlight]. ON/10 sec. OFF

The AA rechargeable has capacities of 2650mAh where AAA only has 1000mAh using Duracell as example.  Based on this is using rechargeable batteries the Alpha run time should be twice longer than the X.

TheMonk said:
[highlight]Quote from Bob:[/highlight]

Bah. Nova charges $50 to have the 3 second delay and dongle disabled, which is quite ridiculous if I may say so.

It's more than that:

Alpha-Series
Dimensions 23mm diameter x 193mm length
Battery Power Supply 2 [highlight]AA[/highlight] Batteries
Recommended Duty Cycle [highlight]200 sec[/highlight]. ON/20 sec. OFF

X-Series
Dimensions 13mm diameter x 150mm length
Battery Power Supply 2 [highlight]AAA[/highlight] Batteries
Recommended Duty Cycle [highlight]100 sec[/highlight]. ON/10 sec. OFF

The AA rechargeable has capacities of 2650mAh where AAA only has 1000mAh using Duracell as example. Based on this is using rechargeable batteries the Alpha run time should be twice longer than the X.

The reason it is 100 and 200 seconds is due to heatsinking. I would buy the Alpha, but with the $50 for disabling the 3 second delay, it isn't worth it. :'(