Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

im new and looking for my first laser (above 5mW)

kubey

hey, i have a newbie question to ask before i get started..

but, if i buy a a too powerful of a laser (above 5mW). from an out of country source..

wouldnt it be confiscated before entering the US?.. or are there conditions to whether or not it does?..

From what Ive read it can be a crap shoot. Most make it through but some websites have problems with being seized (wicked lasers for one). If you say order from o-like you can get the tail cap and batteries shipped separately so it wont be seized.

kubey

oh okay, so laser parts are good-to-go as long as the laser is still inoperable?.. okay thanks, because i was worried about maybe a 40mW laser being seized.. not necessarily a 100-200mW wlaser.. so that wouldve been disappointing.. thanks for letting me know

Yeah anything sub 100mw should make it through no problem. If your looking at something with that power check out this thread in the reviews area http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/ebay-9-blu-ray-pens-great-53322.html You can get a "5mw" laser that is averaging 40-60mw. There is a good link on one of the last pages to a person who ships from califonia, they have 405nm (violet) and I believe green as well. Its a great begining laser, and the blue ones if focused (gotta rip off the top cap, takes a TON of force) can burn stuff. Mine will cut electrical tape slowly and light a match in 5 secs with fresh batteries. I suggest getting a green for the wow factor of seeing the beam and the overall brightness of the dot.

Also welcome to the forums, lasers can be quite addicting. Started with a 5mw green about 7 years ago and finally have gotten a 30mw green (more like 50-60mw) have a 5mw 405nm (more like 40-60mw) and have a 200mw red on the way.

Well the cheapest way would be this: http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/simple-laser-power-meter-using-ir-thermometer-26341.html

Another choice is this for http://laserpointerforums.com/f41/i...ctronics-radiant-alpha-power-meter-56689.html

Meters typically run into the hundreds of dollars. Theres one around here that simply plugs into a multimeter for around 60 or so but Im having trouble finding it at the moment. Most people hold off on getting a meter until they have a collection of more powerful lasers (and the extra loot too). One real popular one is a "Laserbee" which goes for 2-300 from what Ive seen. There are also members on the forum that would be willing to test a lasers output for you but the whole mailing thing is kinda a pain in the arse.

EDIT: Here is the cheaper one I was thinking of: http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/f...s-stock-ready-ship-35-lpf-discount-46575.html
Only thing is, you need at least one rep point. So once you get your lasers write up a detailed review on em and someone might give ya a point :p. I plan on grabbing one once I have more than 3-4 lasers.

Last edited:
hey, i have a newbie question to ask before i get started..

but, if i buy a a too powerful of a laser (above 5mW). from an out of country source..

wouldnt it be confiscated before entering the US?.. or are there conditions to whether or not it does?..

Well if all your questions haven't been answered; buy from O-like, they have the best quality, customer service, and products for the price. Their products make it through customs too. But the best place to buy 5mW pointers is definitely eBay as you already found out. But I would definitely say go to O-like if you want something over 5mW for the best price.