Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I'm back... And building a red.

Hey guys,

So I'm sure no-one knows/remembers me due to my low post count, but a few months back I discovered this site and went to work at building a blu-ray laser. Thanks to everyone's help it was a great success and still works to this day (I've even dropped it multiple times and it hasn't affected the output).

Anyways... I'm now in the market for building a high power red laser, but it looks like a lot has changed... Specifically the website layout - I've been having a hard time finding what I need to, and when I click an old link there seems to be a 75% chance it takes me to the homepage.

-----------------
Thus, I have ONE question:

1) There are a lot of high quality DVD burners out there these days, and I'm having an impossible time finding one that I can consider "as close to the best as possible"... What is the best possible DVD burner you can buy at a "reasonable" price these days for a red laser? I'm looking for maximum output power...

You're gonna have to take my word for it when I say I've looked and been unable to find what I need to :(

-----------------

I plan to build this red the same way I build my blu-ray last time I was here... This is the tutorial I followed:
I-Hacked.com Taking Advantage Of Technology - Building a High-Power Blu-Ray Laser

I'd link to the one that we have on the forums, but the link is broken, like most of my other old ones....

Thanks in advance for any help I can get, and its exciting to be back :D
-Jason

the 20 and 22x dvd burners use almost the same diode so the lpc is probably your best bet. you can pick some up at Modwerx for ~12$ shipped with coupon code "LPF10" for 10% off.

Welcome back. Why not just get a sled from one of the buys on the forum, rather than buy the whole burner? An LPC-815 sled will give you a nice powerful red diode.

At that price.... I'd get a Laser Diode from Drew...
And you can't beat the LPF discount...:cool:

Jerry

Yeah, since it is a LOC (long open can) diode, people generally run them around 420mA. With adequate heatsinking you can go beyond that.

Ya Im building a red too.I think you should go with modwerx.com.I got the stuff to build my BR there and I got it really fast.