Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Im a with 2 laser (Class III) modules from a $70,000 tunable laser source

Hi Everybody
Its a pleasure to be on this forum im seeing lots of interesting stuff. I also may have some thing very interesting in front of me. I believe they are the laser modules from a now obsolete hp tuneable laser source (i will go get the exact model later) and the machine had either a ClassIII or ClassIIIb on it. Im not even sure which is the business end of these things. In the smaller one I think the light emitting end is covered by a fibre optic, but on the larger one i see what I think lookss like a lens or something opposite to the side with the fibre optic.
So my experience with lasmwers to date is the €2 ones you buy in spain and the 5mMw green astronomical pointers.
So if anybody could give me some advice or tell me anything about or if these things are valuable
vslv8x.jpg
2h31khx.jpg

69i0l5.jpg

That's it? Looks like a fiber-coupled IR diode to me. Probably the main pump source. Best guess is 1-5W.

ok as far as i remember they came from hp 81680 or 8168a, and from what i see there are a lot of different specs and options but the wavelength for the 2 modules is in the 1400s-1500s nm and power outputs vary greatly from -20dbm to 8dbm, not sure which i have could be weaker .8dbm
So my question is what can i do with these?

dBm is decibel milliwatt. 8 dBm is 10^(8/10) = 6.3mW and -20 dBm is 10^(-20/10) = 0.01mW.

Since this is low power Mid-IR, you can't feel it or see it, even with a digital camera, and you can't burn or pump anything either. It's useless for anything except niche science applications, I'm afraid.

Last edited: