Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

im a noob, and i want a burner

mw1111

err, well, first off my name is matthew, so hi and id like to say im loving this forum so far.

my questions are this. i have read ddl's DIY thread, and i actually have the same flashlight in one of those pictures (it was one with an RC heatsink, and it was the larger one on the bottom)

im looking for one that will last, and is relatively cheap, because im very limited on cash right now... at max, i have about 50 dollars, depending on my bills.

im guessing all the components can be purchased from radioshack except the diode right? so ill need to know where i can get a diode cheaply, red or green, (prefer green but if its too expensive or burns things worse then red then ill use a red one) i have never taken a course in electrical components, so amps, volts, watts, mW, all these are beyond my understanding at the moment, which i hope wont be too much of a burden for you guys.

ok so i guess heres my parts list that i need:
a resistor,
a capacitor,
some solder,
a diode,

and what else?

basically i need to know everything, the technical talk in the DYI by DDL just confused me more. no worries though, im very computer and technical savvy, so im sure ill be able to pick up on this very quickly, i just need a kick in the arse to start!

Ok welcome to the forum. Firstly, you have some options here. A lot of people on this forum including myself will make you a red laser. Some are cheaper than others. You can get everything you need for Daedal's circuit at your local radioshack. I have an excellent thread regarding how easy it really is to build. You can locate it HERE. Ok so assuming you read all of that, the next two things you need to get are a laser diode and a aixiz module. You can purchase aixiz modules HERE. Next you should read either Daedal's thread or Kenom's regarding DIY lasers. They are very helpful in making your own laser. Well hope I helped and dont be afraid to ask questions. ;)

mw1111

oh dont worry i wont be afraid to ask questions! during the process of me actually making the laser expect a new thread or two lol.

thanks for your links, my final question is, where on earth can i get a diode? i COULD buy a dvd burner, but those are somewhat expensive, and its almost cheaper just to put in for a blu-ray bundle-buy

mw1111

hmm 2 or three huh? will this leave me enough from my budget of 50 to get the rest of the parts? and also what are the odds of my getting this right at all? i mean, how often does something like this just not work?

Your odds of one of these diodes not working when you get it are like you getting struck by lightning in a snow storm. It's all how you handle things. Take your time, READ!! <-- I am emphasizing this because you don't want to rush yourself thinking "Oh cool burn stuff with a laser." Then you are left with a $17.00 LED instead of a LD. So my suggestion to you is read the thread I linked you to earlier and make sure understand the basics of Daedal's circuit. Hope I helped. ;)

mw1111

ok i gotcha. i posted on the threat where senkat posts the link to the sony diodes, but since i already have this thread, ill ask anyways. when i order this, how long do you think it will take to arrive in california? a few weeks is kinda long, but i dont expect two day shipping either

Well that all depends what Greg(Senkat)has left from his group buy. I know he told me he ordered extra. Send him a PM, he is very cool to talk to and work with.

in california, not long by what i've heard. I'm in AUS and mine arrived in a week flat! SenKat is great to work with and is in TX.

mw1111

thats great to know, now all i need to do is wait for senKat to reply to my PM and ill gather my nickels and dimes to send to him