Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

IgorT's 186mW burning red laser review

ben74

finally found my camera after about a week without it. I received my 186mW from IgorT  3 days ago and i must say its great great quality and small as it runs on one 14500 battery.  

Came with a flashlight clicky to protect the lens

Attachments

• DSC00547_001.JPG
    DSC00547_001.JPG
    666.9 KB · Views: 121

ben74

custom heat  works great at taking away the heat

Attachments

• DSC00548_001.JPG
    DSC00548_001.JPG
    635.7 KB · Views: 96

ben74

I am not sure how he did this with out scratching the lens.

Attachments

• DSC00551_001.JPG
    DSC00551_001.JPG
    748.7 KB · Views: 100

ben74

186mW of red and 75mW of green

Attachments

• DSC00554.JPG
    DSC00554.JPG
    778.3 KB · Views: 100
Nice laser you got there, please re size your pics though, I have to scroll so much.

Any way you can take clear picture of the laser next to something of known size ? Like a AA or AAA battery for instance ? And small enough to actually see the entire laser so we can see what it looks like ? :)

ben74

I did do that but it would of taking to much space i will try to resize them and put all the pictures that i took.

EDIT i have resized them and there the size with a 14500 battery

Attachments

• DSC00549.JPG
    DSC00549.JPG
    686.5 KB · Views: 85

IgorT

ben74 said:
I am not sure how he did this with out scratching the lens.

It's actually easy, once you know how and after a few tries.. I don't cut it open, i pull it out. I use a very tiny screwdriver, which goes through the hole. I push it in at an angle, careful not to touch the lens, and put the tip exactly between the raised rim of the lens and the black plastic plate. Then i just lever it out.

Sometimes this results in a tiny damage at the edge of the raised rim, but that is there just for mounting, and is not a part of the optical surface, so it doesn't affect the output.

If you don't put the tip exactly in between, then the back plate get's ripped appart instead of coming out. It also helps to screw the lens nut backwards into a module, as you then have something to hold - it takes some force to rip it out.

Anyway, i'm glad you like the laser. I am happy with the broken Nova i got in return. I wish it had been a little less broken ;), but i mainly wanted to see the driver, and it works great in one of my frankenstein greens. I hope i can also use the glass lenses and get a little more power out.

I love my 186mw red from you as well, Igor. It looks exactly the same as ben74:s. The host looks much nicer than the old grey ones you used before.

But I've used all my batts for it, and now I can't find the charger. So now I can neither use it nor your blu-ray... : :'(

ben74

Whats the chances of two lasers at 186mW that look the exactly same

I'll bet it burns good. How do you protect your eyes while your focusing on the burnee?

IgorT

ben74 said:
Whats the chances of two lasers at 186mW that look the exactly same

Hehe, well, quite big, if made with the same parts and current settings.. ;)

The diode you got was originally doing 156mW, but when you asked for more power, i set it to the same current as Lazerguy's and it came out at the same power. I think the two diodes you got were the same as the good batch of SenKat's reds - the 16x Sony diode..

With an AR coated plastic lens, they do 205mW! Unfortunatelly i only have one such lens, but they are available on e-bay for $3 or $5... But i doubt you would notice a difference without a meter.

IgorT

LazerGuy said:
But I've used all my batts for it, and now I can't find the charger. So now I can neither use it nor your blu-ray... : :'(

How the hell did you manage to lose the charger?!? :eek:

I sure hope you find it!

ben74

205mW! with a coated lens thats great, however the windows got worse :( i will try and clean it using the instructions you gave me.

IgorT said:
[quote author=LazerGuy link=1217443118/0#8 date=1217673054]But I've used all my batts for it, and now I can't find the charger. So now I can neither use it nor your blu-ray... : :'(

How the hell did you manage to lose the charger?!?  :eek:

I sure hope you find it![/quote]

I know, it's wierd... I just can't remember where I put it. I have spent all night looking for it, but no result yet... but I WILL look for it until I'll find it - I can't stand being unable to use two of my lasers! :mad:

IgorT

ben74 said:
205mW! with a coated lens  thats great, however the windows got worse :(  i will try and clean it using the instructions you gave me.

Ok.. But if it doesn't help, it's possible it would require decanning or even a new diode... I have a few of SenKat's new reds here, which don't have a window. They also don't have those concentric circles because of this..

So if you can't sort it out, it's possible, that something on the window is melting (plastic shreads from the lens nut?) or even the window itself, or rather the coating on it is burning up (read about it once)... Another possibility is, that the diode can't take the higher power.. If this should be the case, i will replace your diode with a windowless one.

But check first if there is something on the window. Use light from a desklamp reflected off the coating - if there's something there, you will see dark particles on the window this way. The darker thing in the center is the laser die under the window. You can't clean that off... ;)