Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Ideas for alternative heatsinking ?

rhd

Of course a custom heatsink is preferable, but are there less effective but passable makeshift alternatives for low-end DIY lasers?

Just getting into this hobby (and looking forward to tinkering), it seems like heatsinking hosts you already own, is a challenge for beginner hobbyists without access to a lathe.

As mentioned, I have little experience here, so please don't hesitate to shoot down my ideas (I'm sure you wouldn't have anyway!)

- Copper tape/film/foil that is thin enough to wrap around an aixiz module until the required thickness to fit the host is reached. Thermal compound between the layers could help compensate for the lack of a solid body of metal. ??

- Copper or aluminum pipes or tubing, snuggly nested in slightly larger diameters until the required thickness is reached. Again, thermal compound could be used. ??

- Are there metals that would be soft enough for a hobbyist to drill a laser module hole in with a power drill, and would be available to purchase in cylindrical chunks of varying sizes to roughly fit a particular host?

- Thin sheet metal could be cut with tin snips into circular "washers" and stacked to form a heatsink with almost any shape/size. ??

For those of you with more practical building experience, do any of these ideas hold any potential?

I've seen some creative stuff.

Pennies/quarters. Pre 1964 quarters are silver, and silver is a really good material for a heatsink.

I've also seen someone use washers, though steel isn't the best choice for a heatsink.

Before I bought a lathe I used this method quite a bit http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/diy-copper-heatsink-6x-phr-45320.html . It's very cheap, easy, quick and effective. The copper was purchased at Ace hardware if I recall correctly. I must say this makes for a solid heat sink with nice heavy weight feel to it and has kept several of my diodes cool. BTW the lasers in the link are still running strong over a year later!

Best of luck on your laser endeavors!