Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I really want to make a host out of this material. There's only one problem...

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey Red, I think someone here actually used that light, or one similar, as a host for his laser a while back.

Edit: I found the thread (Link), it as badboybilly who used this light as a host.

Last edited:

Sweet, I would like to see one really polished, maybe even with some scribing and a few jewels.............that reminds me, people do get silly with those surefire hosts, but I must admit they do look good.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I've got to believe that the gold plating on those hosts is rather thin, and may get easily polished off.

I really like that gold bezel ring with the black body!

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice ....nice high price too. How come I never get something like this as a promo gift? :(

Yea at 1st glance I thought it was full size, that's too much for a mini mag but the smooth sides do shine up nicely.

Wonder how many were given out??
My friend, the "COKE" collector found a 'one-of' stainless Coke cooler (size for a twelve pack) with a name imprinted/NOT printed (done by the cooler maker and the same way as the logo on the side) on the top-a special gift for one of the big bosses at Coke- so few exist that finding a value is hard-(not in any books etc) the collectable's market has fallen each of the past years and some of those rare coke items are going cheap. A $200 small coke 'button' (hangs on wall) can be found to half that.

I used to collect silver coins. Not too many to be had any longer. I did find a silver quarter about 5 years ago in my change. Back in the early 1970s it was far more frequent. Found a silver dime a couple of years ago too. I gave them, along with my Morgan silver dollars to my daughter.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
I used to collect silver coins too, like you say, they are a rare find today.
When I was younger, I worked in a drug store, and you could tell when the kids had got into their dads coin collections, they'd bring in a pocket full of silver coins to buy candy with.
I did happen to get a "silver certificate" dollar bill in change last week, but it was in pretty rough shape.

I had some silver certificates too. Any that were still in circulation today would have to be very rough. Yeah, back in the 1960s everyone was saving silver coins. My mother had a large collection starting the day it was announced that they would be discontinued. I wonder what ever happened to them. She died in 1976 and I never thought about her coins until today.

I used to have a small towing company and I also recycled a lot of junk cars, I would always cut off the cat and pull all the core parts and take the radiator and any alloys/wheels before hauling to the auto shredder and I always pulled the back seats and I always found coins, I have coins from all over the world but US silver coins were few and far between although I did find a few, mostly dimes.

I used to collect silver coins. Not too many to be had any longer. I did find a silver quarter about 5 years ago in my change. Back in the early 1970s it was far more frequent. Found a silver dime a couple of years ago too. I gave them, along with my Morgan silver dollars to my daughter.
Take up the hobby of metal detecting. You'll find them.

I knew a guy who did that back in 1981. We used to drop pennies for him to find.........it was hilarious.
Someone did that to me years ago - the joke did not work. Unknown to him is the detector indicated depth of target along with type. All of his placed pennies were an inch or so and ignored. Now high end detectors have become very sophisticated machines.

The whole point of me wanting a host made from the material is because of how it looks. I initially came across some tops made out of it. That made me think a last host made with it would be awesome. I'd probably put a diode around 515nm in it.

That is some beefy Nb-Ti cabling... I visited CERN in 2013, and they had some bits of the Nb-Ti superconductors on the LHC ring to show us on the tour - a thin cable of Nb-Ti about the diameter of a pencil was rated for 13,500A of current when cooled. Equivalent copper bundle had a diameter of ~100mm and weighed an absolute ton.

You'd want to turn down the OD of that so you exposed the Nb-Ti right? Otherwise you might as well just use copper round bar stock :)
It definitely has a beautiful look to it when machined, too bad it's so damn expensive! :D
If I were to make a host from this material, it would be for it's looks and not for any possible thermal improvement over plain copper.

1wqQsT3.jpg