Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

I need some help

HHRay

Okay so I don't know hardly anything about making a laser. But despite that i already got a dvd player so i can get its diode and I already want to make one.
But the thing is, I don't know what to connect the diode to. For a power source.
Can someone tell me how this stuff works because I don't have a clue about what to do.
TLDR: I'm a noob that wants to make a laser but can't figure out power supply.

gazer101

Read the forums, your questions have been asked many times before

HHRay

Hopefully I can find the info I need.
Either way,thanks for saying that. I don't know why I didn't do that before.

Platupus999

Okay so I don't know hardly anything about making a laser. But despite that i already got a dvd player so i can get its diode and I already want to make one.
But the thing is, I don't know what to connect the diode to. For a power source.
Can someone tell me how this stuff works because I don't have a clue about what to do.
TLDR: I'm a noob that wants to make a laser but can't figure out power supply.
You will need a driver to power the diode, they regulate current otherwise your diode will die.

Watch this styropyro video which will teach you the basics on how to make a simple driver:

this driver is very cheap and all parts needed are on ebay. I dont reccomend you use a salvaged dvd laser as you wont know what currrent it wants or its model, i reccomend buying one on ebay (low power diodes cost like £5) and then you can find the datasheet to find out the current required.
If you have any other questions i will answer to the best of my ability.

HHRay

You will need a driver to power the diode, they regulate current otherwise your diode will die.

Watch this styropyro video which will teach you the basics on how to make a simple driver:

this driver is very cheap and all parts needed are on ebay. I dont reccomend you use a salvaged dvd laser as you wont know what currrent it wants or its model, i reccomend buying one on ebay (low power diodes cost like £5) and then you can find the datasheet to find out the current required.
If you have any other questions i will answer to the best of my ability.
Well I don't know right now,but I can look it up.
I bought this dvd player as if it was just made (aka it has been kept in good condition) and i can actually just look up its design for finding the diode type. Thanks for trying to let me know though.I would explain more about how much I know but I don't need to so I won't also because there isn't much to say about it, I bought a dvd player and deconstructed it.

Platupus999

Well I don't know right now,but I can look it up.
I bought this dvd player as if it was just made (aka it has been kept in good condition) and i can actually just look up its design for finding the diode type. Thanks for trying to let me know though.I would explain more about how much I know but I don't need to so I won't also because there isn't much to say about it, I bought a dvd player and deconstructed it.
Anyway once you find the required current you will need to buy or make a driver.