Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

i need help!

etc

ok i have been looking around for an answer like a maniac with no success

i was playing with this laser i just brought from ebay (link below)
and it stopped working!
i will go through step by step what i did
i have a low voltage power supply that i hooked it up to
i had it on 4 volts (dc) it was working fine then i turned it off took the lens off turned it on and it wouldn't work?

please help!!!

heres the link
eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

Check your connections, maybe when taking off the lens you pulled/twisted a wire loose, I've had it happen. ;)

Removing the lens should have no effect on the module unless it uses an open can diode, in which case removing the lens could let dust or moisture onto the die, which destroys the diode. Can you take a picture of the aperture/diode with the lens removed?

What is the current capacity of the power supply you were using? It is possible that the laser was drawing too much current for the power supply as well. The eBay listing says to use a 5V 1A power supply. (I doubt the laser requires more than 400mA, and that would be an inefficient driver!).

etc

thanks for the quick reply
@Ibuprofen200mg i have rewired it a couple of times now but no dice.
@Sigurthr my camera wasn't strong enough to take clear photos but this is what the diode looks like and the power supply has controlled voltage its input is 220/240 ac 50/60hz and aprox 1 amp and i was putting through 4 volts of dc

TOCanDiode_800px.jpg

Ok, closed can diode and plenty of psu headroom. No idea then..

If all connections are solid it should still be working.

etc

ok so reckon its just a faulty diode then i have tried to contact the seller but no reply
could you give me a link to reliable seller

Do you have any specs regarding the driver in that host? Could be a problem with the driver. You should, if possible without breaking the warranty, check the output with a DMM to see if anything actually flows to the diode. If it voids your warranty I would just send it back, ofc depending on shipping costs etc.

Best regards.

etc

Do you have any specs regarding the driver in that host? Could be a problem with the driver. You should, if possible without breaking the warranty, check the output with a DMM to see if anything actually flows to the diode. If it voids your warranty I would just send it back, ofc depending on shipping costs etc.

Best regards.

i dont see any way of getting in the housing it looks like i might have to ask for a refund

I think your best choice will be to send it back then. If the seller will not cover the shipping costs it might not be viable to do so, and in that case I would find a way to rip it apart and maybe reconfig it in an aizix housing or likewise if any of the parts in there still work :)

Gl with it.

Well, you carefully solder the wire back on using as little heat and as short of of contact time as you can.