Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I need a experienced laser builder!

stevie

Before I start, this is the video I am referencing. (How to make a cheap 1000mW+ Blue Laser Pointer - YouTube) I have bought all the parts from this video and here are the links to the parts, [Laser module with lens: http://bit.ly/LejEgU (Select the $60 option, in module with glass lense)
C6 flashlight casing: C6 DIY Cree LED Flashlight Full Casing/Shell with Driver Pill (2*CR123A/1*18650) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme
C6 heatsink: Black Anodized Aluminum Heat Sink
Driver: ]18V 5W Cree Circuit Board for Flashlights (16.8mm*5.5mm) - Free Shipping - DealExtreme

I wondered if someone would take time out of their day to review the parts and video to make sure this would work. Thank you very much to whoever will do this.

Zeebit

Everything looks okay. Use two 16340 or 18350 cells for this build.

stevie

I have both but which would you recommend? I heard the 2 16340's because of voltage.

EDIT: Also, thank you very much for taking time to review this for me. I deeply appreciate it. :)

Last edited:

Zeebit

Both are of the same chemistry(Li-ion) and therefore of the same voltage(3.7v nominal, 4.2v full charge). An 18350 will have a little more capacity. Make sure you get unprotected 18350 otherwise it won't fit.

stevie

Thank you for the info and quick response. Have a wonderful day or evening (whatever it is for you haha). :)

My google fu is weak tonight. So far have not been able to find a definitive answer. Does anyone know if that driver uses PWM?

stevie

I'm sorry about being ignorant. But I have never understood duty cycle. Is 100% good? And if it is you're telling me that the laser I am building I can leave on as long as I like?

stevie

That still kinda doesn't answer my question. Is the driver I'm getting 100%?

Zeebit

It answers 100% of your question. The driver is 100% duty cycle. It does not have any PWM capability.

If you are referring to the duty cycle of the laser then that is a similiar thing. It is the time when the laser is on and off. Obviously you need to turn off the laser when it gets hot and let it cool down. Example: 30sec on 60 sec off.