Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I like my three-element lens more than my G-2 lens

I just finished a 2W 445 build, and I love it. But my G-2 lens is putting the beam out crooked and there's a TON of spill out to the sides, and even when focused the focal point is more of a line.

My three element (maybe single element) lens from a few years ago produces a much nicer collimated beam, and it comes out straight.

Is it bad that I like my $8 lens over my $35 lens? I know that the G-2 is "30%" increase, but if the beam-patter's not as good, is it really worth it?

Thanks!

It sounds like you got a defective G2 lens, or maybe its just not positioned flat in the lens holder.

Alan

It sounds like you got a defective G2 lens, or maybe its just not positioned flat in the lens holder.

Alan

I believe it's not positioned correctly. I had to put it in a different holder, and I'm guessing that I did something to it during that transplant. I spent like and hour wiggling it around last night trying to get it centered, but I couldn't.

Its a very well known fact, that you just witnessed :p

I realize that :) that but being a flashlight finatic, myself, I guess I place more emphasis on beam pattern than I do on output.

I don't have any laser power meters, but I wouldn't be surprised if that 30% gain that I see is the G-2 lens is nearly all coming out in spill to the side of the collimated beam itself.

You should get little or no splash from a G2, I am using 3 of them now and none produce any splash at all. My 3 element lenses do make a smaller dot at a greater distance but they produce the usual batwings type of splash on two sides of the beam.

Alan

You should get little or no splash from a G2, I am using 3 of them now and none produce any splash at all. My 3 element lenses do make a smaller dot at a greater distance but they produce the usual batwings type of splash on two sides of the beam.

Alan

I do have the batwing on my Aixiz lens. Buy maybe my G-2 is broken. IMO it's not worth an extra $35 to figure it out. Maybe in a while I'll buy another G-2 and see if it's any better.

Thanks for letting me know.

Last edited:
I use the 3-element lens in my 445nm laser. It actually has a pretty decent beam, and can hit low clouds.

I use a G9 lens in my 405nm laser because it still has a nice small dot with it, but it kills the 445 beam for me.