Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I have a really noob question

One of these https://www.cvimellesgriot.com/Products/Self-Contained-Cylindrical-Helium-Neon-Laser.aspx just fell into my hands for practically free, and upon turning it on and seeing only a tiny little dot I thought it was pretty appropriate, only to find out online that the retail price is $495 bucks. Are gas lasers just more expensive in general or is there something about this? Can someone tell me why they're so expensive...especially for such a weak lookin laser?

daguin

One of these https://www.cvimellesgriot.com/Products/Self-Contained-Cylindrical-Helium-Neon-Laser.aspx just fell into my hands for practically free, and upon turning it on and seeing only a tiny little dot I thought it was pretty appropriate, only to find out online that the retail price is $495 bucks. Are gas lasers just more expensive in general or is there something about this? Can someone tell me why they're so expensive...especially for such a weak lookin laser?

Available wavelengths, beam spec's, operating life, and that indescribable "coolness" factor :p

henernbw1-1.jpg

IMG_1154.jpg

lgnew20.jpg

1sthene.jpg

bigcvl1.jpg

acc4.jpg

IMG_2436.jpg

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
yea but this one is less than 5mw! what are the applications (or any differentiations really) for gas lasers that separate them from normal ones?

gas lasers are very expensive when they are powerful.. gas lasers tend to have the best beam specs and cool wavelengths.

that's my understanding

The specs say that it is from .50-.95 of 1 MILLIWATT! WOW. lol for 495 bucks that's a great deal!

Just kidding of course, i don't think i would pay that much for a laser period.

Last edited:

daguin

yea but this one is less than 5mw! what are the applications (or any differentiations really) for gas lasers that separate them from normal ones?

LOL! Gas lasers have MUCH better beam spec's. That beam and spot coming out of your little HeNe is WITHOUT focusing lens. Try shining ANY diode laser without a focusing lens.

They are also MUCH more stable with regard to current and temperature.

If you need good beam specs, for long periods of time, in varying conditions, you NEED a gas laser

The coolness factor is a bonus :beer:

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
Click on spec's.. Its below the picture.

i still only see mW one of us is crazy i guess me ... would be the first time ive heard it.

hey dave want to give me your multi line that you have for sale for say 10 bucks :na::na: ill pay cash:horse:

daguin

i still only see mW one of us is crazy i guess me ... would be the first time ive heard it.

hey dave want to give me your multi line that you have for sale for say 10 bucks :na::na: ill pay cash:horse:

mellesGriot1.jpg

Peace,
dave

1.70 mrad. Is it me, or does that suck?

Dave is a true laser enthusiast. He likes all lasers, and has a large collection.

It does look like a fairly small tube, it would make sense that divergence decreases as cavity length decreases. Look at how small the laser cavities are in our 405nm and 660nm diodes, and how much they diverge without any additional optics. That was very eye-opening to me to realize that our diodes are basically gas laser tubes, but with the gain material being a solid material instead of a gas.

gas lasers are often used for spectroscopy as well. The known radiated energy (wavelength is known, and power is very stable, so power is known. One could even calculate parameters such as the number of photons hitting the target and how much energy it imparts on the target material) is shot at some *stuff* and then they observe how the *stuff* reacts to the energy. From those observations and measurements, they can infer with great accuracy the makeup of the *stuff*

Notice the beam diameter. Divergence is inversely proportional to beam size. If this was expanded to the same size we have our LOCs at, Divergence would be down to 0.17mRad. Similarly, if we selected a different collimating lens for a LOC that resulted in a beam of 0.47mm, divergence would be far worse than the 1.7mRad this laser has.

Last edited:
I think the best part of having a gas laser is if for some reason the tube is damaged you still have a high voltage PSU to get up to no good with. :eg:

Did you know that entire metal structures (pallet racking) in a warehouse can be energized from just one point of contact and that you can make up just about any completely ridiculous story about strange atmospheric conditions that day causing it and lots of people will believe it ?
After that you can be sure that just about any other bull$#!t story about electrical anything will be regarded as truth !
Mwaaaa haaaa haaaaa haaaa !
:crackup: :crackup: :crackup: