Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I could use a bit of advice, this is my first post.

Hi, I just joined the forums here after lurking for a while and reading everything I could. I recently purchased a few laser pointers, and a flashlight case to use as a host in case I ever get the hankering to tinker (OK, in case is unneeded, its gonna happen!)

Im not sure if this is the right place for this, but I would appreciate any feedback and advice I can get. ANY feedback is appreciated and I am most grateful.

I just ordered these items and would like to know what everyone thinks. I am planning on just using the pointers as is, but am planning on ordering a 2W blue diode and associated kit to build the NES Zapper that is on teh netz. Also I am planning on modding flashlight cases to be hosts as well, and maybe selling the lasers to help out with my family, as I am disable and cannot find any work here where I live.

Here are the items, sorry if I am not supposed to show links, but I didnt see it being against the rules.

1) Green Laser Pointer Pen Professional 532nm High Power $6.73 free shipping
Green Laser Pointer Pen Professional 532nm High Power | eBay

2)Powerful Astronomy Grade Blue Beam Laser Pointer 5mw 532nm w/ Retail Box $3.99 free shipping
Powerful Astronomy Grade Blue Beam Laser Pointer 5mW 532nm w Retail Box | eBay

3)Ultra Powerful Laser Pen Pointer Beam Red Light 5mW $2.05 free shipping
Ultra Powerful Laser Pen Pointer Beam Red Light 5mW | eBay

I ordered these ones because they seem to be a great deal for the money, and from what I have read on these forums they all seem to be good performers, as well as moderately overspecced most of the time. The question I have is about the blue one, as the wavelength doesnt seem to be what is visible as blue from what I have read? If I get another green one I will be perfectly happy, it just seems that something is odd for the wavelength and also for the price being so cheap. I might just be a bit paranoid, but thats why I am asking.

The flashlight I bought is this one:

3W LED Handy Portable Waterproof Camping Flashlight $1.98 free shipping
3W LED Handy Portable Waterproof Camping Flashlight Torch Free Shipping! - US$1.98

Is this a viable laser host? I really couldnt pass it up for the price. Even if it cant be used as a host, it should still be a reasonably well performing flashlight (Even though I know the 3W is a complete joke).

I think I made wise purchasing decisions, and would love to hear what you all think, and appreciate any and all comments, and advice that you could give.

(I already know all about the safety goggles, but would like help finding the absolute cheapest ones I can get while still keeping the safety in mind. I dont want expensive, but dont want to fry me oculars...)

And hey, if the ones I bought are pretty good, I might have found a cheap source for everyone lol

Thanks everyone!

I am also an avid RC enthusiast, and am wanting to mount a laser pointer to my rc heli to play with the cat. I will be using a cheapo keychain <5mw for that, unless you guys think the red one I bought will be safe. Any advice?

Fiddy

first off don't double post; its a quick way to piss people off, much better to go back and edit your post.

Second, those lasers are very weak and have dodgy eBay listings, i wouldn't buy off there again. Also that flashlight looks piss weak too, 1 AA battery not very good.

You could use the flashlight as a laser host if you make a heatsink or got one made to fit.

Don't buy anything over 5mW for playing with that cat or putting on your RC heli.

Thanks for the reply. I know they are cheap, that was kinda the whole point really. I am pretty much as broke as broke gets right now, so the less I spend the better. They have to be better than the POS keychains from the dollar store, I am sure?

As far as the flashlight, same thing. Cheap is what I am aiming at lol. I know it is a pileocrap, but for less than 2 bucks....

I have read a TON of threads on here about these ebay lasers, and from what I have read they seem to work pretty well. Sure they arent anything special, but they seem to be quite capable for the price. Also they are a cheap source of pen hosts and other stuff that I might need for further tinkering.

Thanks for the response Fiddy, but instead might you actually post a link or two to put me in the right direction? Not trying to sound like an arse, but just telling me not to buy those again and not giving any advice on where to actually buy from the next time is really not that helpful (Again, no offense intended).

If you could give me helpful advice instead of just criticism on my choices, I would only be able to learn more from you.

And I do know not to use anything more than a <5mw for any playing around with teh kittehs, I already said that I would not be doing so.

I am not some kid jumping head first into this, I am a reasonably intelligent 31 year old man with a wife and 2 kids. I have studied lasers, electronics, and the related subjects since an early age and have a very good comprehension level. I am looking into possibly building lasers to sell as a business if I get good enough at it. I have sucessfully started businesses from scratch before and love the process. No decision I make is spur of the moment or impulsive, even for a 2 dollar purchase for a possible laser host, or cheapie pens from ebay.

Sorry if I come off as defensive, or any of that. That is not my intention. I just wanted to let everyone know that they are not dealing with someone who is simply trying to build a freekin lightsaber. (Well, not yet anyway.... gotta figure out the stopping of the beam stuff lol)

Like I said, I know the cheapo ebay pens are bottom quality, but I HAVE read quite a bit on them here, and that is why I bought them.

My next purchase is most likely going to be this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2W-Copper-4...580&pid=100005&prg=1088&rk=4&sd=170917249313&

It is an A140 2W diode, with the copper module, Xdriver, and G2 lens already installed. They are sold by DTR, who was recommended to me by another forum member. I am planning on modding one of the cheapo pens into a host for the 2W diode in the future if it is feasible. As I have seen it done with an M140, I dont think it should be too hard.

I have done my homework, and have literally read over 5000 posts on here before I even joined, so cut me some slack eh?:cryyy:

EDIT* Sorry about the double post. I think I got it figgered out now...

Last edited:

Fiddy

That module is good, you cant go wrong with dtr's gear.
You wont get 2W in a pen host tho. Theres a lack of heatsinking.

Its best for laser noobs to start with bigger host than pen hosts theres just more room to play with that makes things easier. Go for a C6 or similar sized 18650 host to start with.

Fiddy

yeah, but you will need a custom heatsink made, if you go for a Aurora C6, the heatsinks are readily available and fit perfect.

I got the green one so far and I do have to say it is OBVIOUSLY WAY overspec. The thing is EXTREMELY bright even with cheap batteries. I am impressed to say the least. I do have to be careful with it though.