Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

I completed my first violet/blue ray build

I just finished my first build and all is working fine. I had a idea or two that i used on it and wanted to share which seem to be working out great. First off, for my host i used a Coast brand LED lenser part # 010395 which i found at ACE Hardware, but can also be found by searching Coast Led Lenser on the web.They have a lot of cool possibilities. I like this unit because it has a solid tail cap push button and not the rubber one. Secondly i was able to use part of the design with my heatsinking. I already had the idea for sinking and when i saw this unit it fit into my plans perfectly. My idea was to drill/mill holes through my heatsink going from the outside to the core where the module slides through. My thought was to create small chambers which would draw the heat and an avenue for release instead of dissipating slowly. it seems to be working as i am barely feeling any heat after a lot of use. As you can see by the pic the host also has small holes around the diameter for heat escape. My holes line up right behind the diode. i did this hoping to dissipate heat from the diode and driver. I had considered drilling the holes through the casing as well but am worried about contaminates getting to the driver.

The flux capacitor in this baby consists of a PHR 803 diode and is driven by a rockstar driver set at 130ma and is powered by three AAA 3.6 volt batteries. Even with such a large power plant it still remains cool. Though i have not put a whole bunch of time into testing i am lighting matches at 4 feet. I have not been able to talk my little girl out of her balloon yet.

I will post pics of my heatsink when my lathe is up and running. I built this one using a drill press and a lot of finness.It came out nice but i can do better with the proper tool. Hopefuly my lathe parts will be here this week and i can get working on it in more depth.

Skylight

Attachments

• 100_0113.JPG
    100_0113.JPG
    902.7 KB · Views: 144

DON'T just upload a 10MP picture without RESIZING it first!!! 640x480 or thereabout is enough.

Drilling holes is not a good idea, as air is a far worse conductor of heat than metal. It would only make sense if you'd be drilling holes lengthwise and blowing air through it with a fan.

Also, next time, try to focus your camera on the laser and not on the picture in the background :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I did take into consideration air verses metal conversions and my thought is the mass of outside air verses the small chambers, that mass would win. Another option using this design is for people who want to push their lasers over the one or two minute operations is that they could simply blow on/into the chambers for air movement thus forcing heated air out. I really think that this design is working favorably.

I will definetely work on the pic resizing. This was my first post using a pic. I will also get some beam shots.

Skylight