Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hunting NV laser 808-500mw

Just thought I would drop in and say. THANKS GUYS !

After a few dumb newbie questions and a little help from some of you guys, I was able to put together just the laser I was looking for. Unlike most, I was not interested in a ligh show..or burning a match stick. I wanted a laser designator for night hunting in the 808-850nm range.

Here it is in action..boring i know, so just watch a few seconds of it. Thanks again.

Playing with a home made 500mw laser - YouTube

Man that thing is bright. Post some pictures of the actual laser. Id like to see it

OK, but I don't know what you expect to see.

Cheap 3 dollar 9 led flashlight from gas station as housing.
4 dollar Ebay laser housing..I needed the front end lens to focus...but I focused wide
9 dollar ebay 500mw ld...580ma, I'm throwing 620ma at it.
Bunch of pennies used for a heat sink
Used LM338 instead of LM317..338 handled more current..rated at 1.5A I think..

Built with this basic circuit. No cap or diode
http://www.rog8811.com/laserdriver.htm

pics...
still need a can of black paint...

Last edited:
Wow that 500mW really lights the place up, I'll have to mess around with that myself :)

I just installed a video security system and it needs more night illumination.

Last edited:
LEDs are better for IR light sources. Either get a ring of 5mm type, or make your own out of chinese "3W" stars. They're cheaper, potentially brighter, safer, and more robust.

LEDs are better for IR light sources. Either get a ring of 5mm type, or make your own out of chinese "3W" stars. They're cheaper, potentially brighter, safer, and more robust.

You have 6 million post and I only have 10..

However I disagree, they are 2 diff animals that serve 2 diff purposes.

I made one of the famous Lardy Lights..with a 50mm aspherical lens. It uses the osram/ostar power house 1amp sucking led..Its a great big heavy beast housed in a big old flashlight.
It works and it works great..as a spotter. But as soon as you put a scope on it and go over 10x..the beam is to wide at any distance much over 150 yards. Unless you run at 4.5x on the scope like the NV systems.

HERE is the link
http://nightvisionforumuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=982

Then I made one using the popular 500ma olson black, housed in a Surfire host. Much smaller unit...nice out to 100yards + or so at 10X.

The LED's do have a much nicer cleaner light, but they can not be focused, or at least focused like a Laser diode.

Look at this board your on now..they dont paint the sky with LED lights do they. Lasers, for the ability to focus and maintain that tight beam.

The Laser Diode..with the ability to focus can see at longer distances.
The light is dirty, but I'm sure with the one above if I were to focus the beam down, I could see 7-8 hundred yards.

Last edited:
The Laser Diode..with the ability to focus can see at longer distances.

That is the only advantage. It comes at the price of being rather dangerous.

We could get into a discussion of something to the effect of "you're the world's best sniper that can pick off a wolf at 7 kilometers and you need a light source that can reach that far" or something equally ridiculous, but pointing an invisible focused laser off into the distance isn't safe. Depending on where you live, you will not find many open areas 800 yards wide anyway.

I agree there is a danger aspect.

Its best for wide open field shooting. I would not want to walk through the woods at night, getting invisible bounce back, off every tree or branch I walked by. Thats time for the LED.

MRnewbie? incoming pm! i need details on your build, sir. I am precisely in the same boat you are in, with a camera on a scope and needing better IR illumination at distance. I would appreciate any info you can give me, as you obviously have a working unit beyond my own specs i envisioned.

excellent work, going by your video, sir! 2 thumbs up!