Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How would ancient civilizations have reacted to lasers?

Hello people,

I was just wondering what the reaction of ancient society would have been had we traveled to the past and shone a laser at them. Would each civilization have a different reaction to the action?

Stix62

How do you know someone/thing didn't?

I watch too much 'Ancient Alien's, and the like, type of t.v :D

Last edited:
Here's what I think would happen, with some small variation from civilization to civilization:

First lasers would strike terror into the hearts of anyone who saw them as they (and almost all modern technology) would be seen as magical, and then there are 2 possibilities of what would happen next:

1) The person with the laser would be burned at the stake (or otherwise killed) for witchcraft/wizardry.

2) The person with the laser would be deified, and placed above almost all other people out of fear of the incredible and fantastic magic that they obviously command.

Last edited:
pe4f1459d4.JPG

Stix62

Haha, Giorgio Tsoukalos :D

What a hair style...lol. I love watching this guy in the Ancient Aliens series'. His hair gets further and further from his head as the episodes progress :D

edit: when I say further and futher, I mean it just seems to grow straight up and outwards :D

Last edited:
it would be attributed to a sign from their god(s) if used discreetly

not used discreetly, ElektroFreak's explanation sounds about right

makes me thing of stargate scene with the lighter lol

CDHDC

LOL!!! I was just thinking about this guy yesterday;) HAHAHA

thats funny. i was watching ancient aliens the other day and my wife said 'whats up with that guys hair'?

back to the question:
i thinks anyone with a laser in ancient times would be challenged and killed for being a devil/witch.

now if you had a 'boomstick' - that would be different :gun:

Joe Mo

thats funny. i was watching ancient aliens the other day and my wife said 'whats up with that guys hair'?

back to the question:
i thinks anyone with a laser in ancient times would be challenged and killed for being a devil/witch.

now if you had a 'boomstick' - that would be different :gun:

Either that or the exact opposite. They treat you like a god.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -Arthur C. Clarke (A notable astrophysicist)

I think any of our technology today would be enough to wow any ancient civilization. It would be up to the one who possessed it to decide how to use it.

What would YOU do with a laser if you brought it to an ancient civilization?

Last edited: