Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How would an infinitely powerful laser act?

NO4H99

A well thought-out post. With as much time as you put into it, I hate to inform you...

NECRO. :D

Haha, it is impressive how fast posts get old as you move down the page in this section. :eek:

Still, it seems relevant as no one had pointed out the actual amount of force applied by the question. It is good to know my new 2w 445nm laser will have a recoil of 0.00000000667 N when turned on. :D

Last edited:
Just because it's a "necro" post doesn't mean the topic is absolutely closed for discussion? :eek:

As for the poor infinitely powerful laser, it would instantly vanish in an infinitely powerful explosion.

2c,
R.

Just because it's a "necro" post doesn't mean the topic is absolutely closed for discussion? :eek:

As for the poor infinitely powerful laser, it would instantly vanish in an infinitely powerful explosion.

2c,
R.

^ Agree.

However, this thread is kind of meaningless. It doesn't make sense to talk about anything that is infinitely powerful. The universe is governed by math and the math doesn't hold for any infinities. So we can't discuss how anything infinite works because we don't have the tools to discuss it.

I think we can take "infinitely powerful" as a layman asking "given unlimited power", so a two billion watt laser, for example, rather than true infinity. Assuming true infinity is deliberately misunderstanding the question, imo. :)

It does make it easier to answer though. ;)

A member of the general public almost never means true infinity unless talking specifically about mathematics. :p

It's more like it warps space-time around it and light follows this warped space-time.
Correct.
The gravity of a black hole has curved space to the point of a closed loop.
the photons in question would be stuck traveling around an ellipse or circle with the actual black hole as it's center of gravity.

Also, hawking radiation.[/QUOTE]

From my novice knowledge of quantum mechanics, physics, and the such. An infinitely powerful laser would require infinite energy, and with infinite energy, you can break all sorts of rules the the physics people follow. Create worm holes, bend space-time, time travel, etc

Also an object with infinite energy would have infinite mass, thus complete distorting the universe and destroy it.

I love topics involving infinite energy!

:D