Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How visible is red laser beam to you>?

I was wondering because I can barely see my 660nm 200mw red laser at night. Is it underpowered or something or is this normal

If all observing conditions are equal various wavelengths will appear necessarily dimmer or brighter. Light at 555nm is rated a 1 peak reference. Here's a chart that shows apparent brightness of different wavelengths of light.
Sam's Laser FAQ - Items of Interest.

Seems pretty visible to me
PA270012.jpg

That is a 200mW red from DX
PA270013.jpg

Sorry about the pic, my camera got just a wee bit of condensation on it ;)
*The second pic is just to show the distance (kinda), it was about 90 yards to the shelter belt where the beam was terminated.

vdrej

Hello,

First post on these forums, so pardon my ignorance. I've been doing some googling, and I ended up on these forums. I'm not laser-pointer savvy in any way, but I do have a question which hopefully isn't too dumb or complex.

I'm interested in possibly creating a costume which would involve about two laser pointers. One of them would be red, and one would be green. It is essential, for the costumes integrity, for the beams to be visible. To aid this, I'd likely use some form of portable fog generator.

My question is what type of laser pointer would I need for a visible beam (no more than about 10 feet of visibility), and would it be too dangerous to use in a public setting? (On a stage, for a limited amount of time, like less than 5 minutes).

Alternatively, being that a portable fog machine would be used, is there a method of creating a thicker red beam, even if it isn't a laser? Would say, a high powered LED light create a thicker red beam, or would that simply be a 'spray' of light rather than a focused beam.

Any information would be greatly helpful. Thank you!

Edit: I also found this thread: http://laserpointerforums.com/f50/visible-beam-without-pain-57223.html which seems helpful. The youtube video linked isn't too dissimilar from the environment this would be used in. It is a rather dark indoor stage, plus the fog generator would actually be almost right next to the laser source.

Last edited: