Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how to set current on sxd-v3

Hi all, i feel dumb asking this but I have an sxd-v3 driver from dtr and cant adjust the output. i have this test load
3A Selectable Test Load
and can set the current on all my other drivers. this one is unresponsive to current pot adjustments and the current slowly climbs from 1400mah.

driver is adequately heatsinked to a large piece of copper
and the power supply is and adjustable 30v 20 amp unit running on cv at 8.4volts.

what am i missing?

forgot to add, i'm using a multimeter on the 2000mv setting. when i connect it to the 10 amp setting I can get the range to go from 1 amp to 2 amps but this doesn't seem correct as it was suppose to be set to 5 amps from dtr

94Z28

Did you solder anything? Maybe you got stuck in low range.

I could be thinking of a different drive but thought I read it has low and high ranges.

Also, will the current go lower bUT not increase? Does current increase with voltage increase?

Here is some info : http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/x-drive-x-boost-88589.html

nryypsj

Dtr where are you.

Last edited:
i'm in range 2, driver output current does not increase with voltage input increase.

correction, the current does increase when the voltage input is increased

Last edited:

Encap

email or PM DTR he can sort it out for you or replace it if not performing correctly

Hi,
The pic in the post shows a X Boost Bridged here is were the SXD is bridged slightly different.

Rich:)

Attachments

• 1992aa077196c65f2b80b7307d8e02a7.jpeg
    1992aa077196c65f2b80b7307d8e02a7.jpeg
    97.8 KB · Views: 252
could be a bad pot... it happens.. ive had a few when I adjust the pot I go too far one way or another it "breaks" the pot to one setting

I'm guessing it just got too hot and messed up the pot. does anyone know where to buy a replacement pot?

Encap

I'm guessing it just got too hot and messed up the pot. does anyone know where to buy a replacement pot?

The pot is fragile and tempermental. You are probably better off with the SDX Fixed version--maybe DTR can send you the resistor to set it for the output you want or give you the value to use and you can pick one up at a shop near you --you can then remove the pot and fit the resistor in it's place.

Here is the users manual if it is of any help----range 2 of the adjustable version should swing between 1.25 A to 5.5 A output--clockwise higher, counterclockwise lower. See: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_6-KC5wFXIJLTBGWElSTXljQUE/view?usp=sharing

Last edited:
dtr sorted it. the issue is these drivers are a little tricky to set properly. here are his instructions.

Yea these do cause a lot of confusion in setting. I would set that load to the lowest setting with the jumper on 2 if you are trying to set it above 3A which the driver would be in the 2-5A range if you got it set to 5A, set the power supply to 12V(connect the driver at 0V and current all the way to max and with the power supply on turn up to 12V instead of connecting the driver to a hot 12V output as some supplies will spike when loading) and you should be back in business but those diodes are small and setting past 3A will heat them up quick so you won't have long to get a reading on that load. Anyway I assume you mean you are getting a 1400mA(not mAh which is a measure of capacity not current) or 1.4A reading which is strange usually they fall out of regulation higher than that but basically what causes a no reading change 99% of the time is the unit falling out of regulation which is the current is pushing the the load to drop more voltage than the input voltage minus the dropout voltage in the regulator which with 8.4V input would be around 7V. That causes the unit to go into constant voltage and the current will sit at the max the diodes can draw at that specific voltage.

Encap

dtr sorted it. the issue is these drivers are a little tricky to set properly. here are his instructions.

Yea these do cause a lot of confusion in setting. I would set that load to the lowest setting with the jumper on 2 if you are trying to set it above 3A which the driver would be in the 2-5A range if you got it set to 5A, set the power supply to 12V(connect the driver at 0V and current all the way to max and with the power supply on turn up to 12V instead of connecting the driver to a hot 12V output as some supplies will spike when loading) and you should be back in business but those diodes are small and setting past 3A will heat them up quick so you won't have long to get a reading on that load. Anyway I assume you mean you are getting a 1400mA(not mAh which is a measure of capacity not current) or 1.4A reading which is strange usually they fall out of regulation higher than that but basically what causes a no reading change 99% of the time is the unit falling out of regulation which is the current is pushing the the load to drop more voltage than the input voltage minus the dropout voltage in the regulator which with 8.4V input would be around 7V. That causes the unit to go into constant voltage and the current will sit at the max the diodes can draw at that specific voltage.

Good news! DTR to the rescue.

DTR knows every nuance of that driver. His knowledge, experience, and great customer service make him an invaluable resource for LPF members.

94Z28

Very good I haven't messed with any SXD adjustable glad DTR could answer it. Sounds like the same way I set other adjustable though.

only issue left is that it only hits 5amps on a 12 volt input. at 8.4volts its outputting 3.5amps. i'm awaiting dtr's response on this matter.