Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how to power  dx 35mW Green Laser Module

how to power deal extreme dx 35mW Green Laser Module (5V Input)

hey guys, i just got this laser dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10004 and its my first lab laser, and im really not sure how
to power it, i tried with my power supply from my pc, and connected it to the red (+5v) and black(ground) wires, and nothing. i read on this thread laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1216329073/0 to connect the wires directly to the pcb, and i did, and yet nothing.

The board says it needs a 5V AC input, but i checked the pc psu on my old power meter, it gave me a reading when in AC mode, so im under the impression that the psu should power the laser

this is how my laser looks and the board are the same form the images in this thread.
laserpointerforums.com/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1216329073/0

also i tried doing a search on this forum for powering a lab module laser, but nothing relevant poped up...now im browing through threads.

im not sure if the PC power supply attempt was a good one, or not, can i please have some advise on how to power this. If i need to buy an AC adapter then i will, but like everyone who buys somthing new, i just wana see if it works or prepare my mind of the returning goods hassle.

Re: how to power  dx 35mW Green Laser Module

it's strange - the new ones seem completely different compared to the one I got, and the board has a rectifier on it which means it's set up for AC input (you'd need a transformer that outputs 5vac)

joeyjojojjjjjj said:
i hooked mine up to a 5v DC power supply and it took a few seconds but it came on.  Its not AC.

@joeyjojojjjjjj
hi,
just wanted to ask, if yours is the older model of the laser or the newer ones, asking because mariomaster has made an interesting point, and just wanted to know if yours in the newer ones and if it works with the pc psu.

@MarioMaster
tomorro i will try and get a ac adapter first thing in the morning, not sure how easy it will be to find, but ill try. do u know of any other way i could fire this baby up?

thankx guys

-Brian

hey guys,

diachi suggested i do this, and i did:

Try looking into the aperture with a camera, make sure it can see IR ( Point a TV remote at it and press the button and see if you can see anything with the camera ) If there is IR ( camera will see as white/purple ) then the diode is either dead or the crystals are misaligned or there isn't enough power for the crystals to lase. Everything seems connected up right. I suggest you also try another PSU, any PSU I've tried thats meant for a computer has given me bad results.

results:
i just recorded the aperture, and it seems to be emitting IR,i tried it first with a tv remote and saw the colour, and it wasnt the same colour the laser, the tv remote emits an orange colour, but the laser emits more of a red colour.

Actually now im using a cell phone charger, 5V - DC, 500mA, i gave up on the PC power supply.

any ideas what to do next?

-Brian

JLSE

If the diode is damaged you will still see the ir, and you cant be sure unless you test the mW's. I had a few of the older ones with crystals that were loose. And for the lack of padding in ship, who knows...

Yeah hooking up 5v DC should work anyway because it's going through a bridge rectifier. Your module may be damaged.