Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to make a selectable Dummy Load - VERY in depth

thedoc8

This is a very old thread, and therefore a necro post but I'll answer your question.
The issue is the high amperage of 1A plus causes it to overheat. 445nm was just an example because at the time that was pretty much the only diode that went that high I believe. So if you only used 0.5A for a 445nm it would be fine but (at least at the time) you would be way under using that diode to its full potential.
So wavelength has nothing to do with it, it was, was just that 445 nm diode generally could draw more than a amp. So you could still use his setup you just naturally not go over the rating of the diode. Thanks for clearing this up. I did not notice the age of the post, will be more observant.

Any laser diode is capable of drawing more current if the forward voltage is increased. This doesn't mean it will survive this increase. The Nichia diodes that originally came out of the Casio M140 projectors could be driven at 1.8 amps if properly heat sunk for an output over 2 watts with a short focal length aspheric lens. I used to be able to buy them brand new, unused with no solder and full length pins 5 years ago for $40.00 each if I purchased at least five at a time. That was comparable to the price for harvested ones.