Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to "De-Can" my diode for Cleaning

I have a 445 diode...and I notice a small piece of something on the small diode lens. I've done the normal cleaning of the bigger lens..but still there. I've heard this term "de-canning" and was wondering what is the safest way to do so

DrSid

De-canning means removing the front part of the diode casing with the glass. It's non-reversible operation. It removes the window completely, thus removing any dirt. On the other hand, it's risky, as you can break the diode. Also next time the dirt will go directly on the chip.
Most of the time it's easier to clean the diode window.
I personally have not tried removing the window, so wait for people with more experience.

Don't do it. If what I'm thinking of is the same thing you're describing, it's part of the diode/lens.

Last edited:
Search 'decan' & you'll find some methods.

Definitely better to try cleaning the diode window a few times (search for cleaning methods).

Last edited:
I have a 445 diode...and I notice a small piece of something on the small diode lens. I've done the normal cleaning of the bigger lens..but still there. I've heard this term "de-canning" and was wondering what is the safest way to do so

Let's call things their names (ok, clarify)
Do you have a dirty lens?
Do you have a dirty laser diode window?

The first thing, you should try, to blow dirty particles. Maybe it is your fingerprints? :whistle: It might be a mold. You could use pure alcohol to wipe them carefully.

"De-can" - removing a cover with a window of the laser diode - is not a good idea. Some manufactures pump a special gas mixture inside it to increase a laser diode lifetime. With a very high power laser diodes, the strong electric field will attract dust particles >> and it will kill diode sooner or later if the can is removed.

De-can - use a very sharp knife to cut a can and no rush. If you have enough money buy a special tool.

This guy is the scammer who ripped off AnthoT (aka Pr0jkt and Phillybizzle)...maybe no further advice or help is needed. ;) :beer:

iLoveMyBeamz - scammer, multiple accounts 10/8/12 permaban.