Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How to convince parents

NS0201

I kinda think that is ridiculous. I am currently building a 200mw i don't have glasses yet but i plan to buy a pair. As long you you aren't stupid enough to point it at your eye you'll be find. and the glasses are there for accidentally flashes.

hydrogenman15 said:
I get what you mean. There was one time where I let a kid "see" my burning
red. He pointed it at his friend and I freaked out. I know it was stupid but I had told him that it WOULD blind him if he pointed it in his eye. I later explained to him why i freaked out. It's amazing how stupid people can be when it comes to these things. :mad:

It wasn't his fault. You should have warned him beforehand.

Just tell them you're growing up, and that you would like to prove to them that you are becoming a responsible young adult.

If that doesn't work, tell them its just a damn light and to quit sheltering you so much ;D

VillageIdiot said:
It can be a problem of knowledge rather than responsibility though. A BB gun owner might not understand the risks of a laser.
It seems like he would know with all the stories of eye damage going around this forum
Not that his parents understand that though :-/

diachi

;D I ahd the same problem, yeah I have knives, I have done since I was 10, I'm 14 now andI've had BB guns too, but my parents wouldn't allow me to buy a laser, and I kept nagging on at them, telling them that they were really safe, and eventually after I showed that I knew so much about lasers the agreed to get me one, and Now I have two, and soon an RPL-165 ( when I get money ), just show your parents you know what lasers can do, and how they work , and that you will learn if you get one, and also aslong as you have googles you will be 99.99% safe ! ;)

Hope you get what you want some times soon, although I do see your parents point of view, I'm not even allowed my lasers outside and the only portable one I have is <30mW

Diachi

VillageIdiot said:
Firstly, I do not work at nor am I affiliated with DealExtreme. They are a reputable company but I do not benefit from you purchasing their 200mW red laser.

1. Parents are afraid of technology they don't understand. This is why you can have a knife but not a laser. Let them understand that you know your stuff about lasers. Read up on divergance, wavelength, phosphorence, optical density etc.

They're just concerned about your safety, and if you blinded yourself they'd have to live with the shame of being 'bad parents.' Promise you'll lock it away in a box or something if you have curious pets or siblings, promise you'll use it by yourself and responsibly and away from the sky or people's property.

3. You can tell them to speak with someone responsible on the forum. The person has to be impartial and not out to get money. They also have to be over 20 and have a good knowledge of lasers. Tell them this.

4. You're 14. You are starting to make your own life choices for yourself. You are paying with money that you earned, not handed to you as pocket money (I'm assuming), and you're paying for something interesting and a lot more relevant to modern society than a gun or a weapon. A large quantity of physics experiments involve lasers, and they are used in industry and to fix people's eyesight. It's a fascinating technology. You will obviously buy a set of goggles as well, yes? I know, I'm only about a year older than you. I've put in an order for the same laser plus CR2 batteries and charger, and will be ordering goggles when I get the cash together.

Don't skimp out on the goggles. You do only have one pair of eyes, but they are in good hands if you have the right equipment. Your mother probably collects or is interested in something that has no practical value as well (jewellery perhaps? It's not like she's looking to hook another man  ;)) Swiss army knives are often bought for show, and sit on a shelf somewhere until they rust so much you can't open the blades. Same goes for many things, laser pointers are not the only 'useless' hobby.

You can show your parents this post if you like... I did put a little thought into it, hehe. Good luck, perhaps with time and age your parents' mind will change. Mine are as stubborn as a brick wall... but what're you gonna do.

VERY well said.

diachi

;D My mum just shouted me down for pointing my Romisen at a spider at the other side of the room saying I would burn it ;D

Diachi

artix

hydrogenman15 said:
[quote author=VillageIdiot link=1210996697/0#11 date=1211184853]It can be a problem of knowledge rather than responsibility though. A BB gun owner might not understand the risks of a laser.

I get what you mean. There was one time where I let a kid "see" my burning
red. He pointed it at his friend and I freaked out. I know it was stupid but I had told him that it WOULD blind him if he pointed it in his eye. I later explained to him why i freaked out. It's amazing how stupid people can be when it comes to these things.  :mad:

In fact I am more careful with my laser then my parents are.  :)[/quote]

That reminds me of when I first got a laser!(<1mw keychain) I brought it to school and a friend (one of the most n00bish people I've met) said that lasers where completely harmless... LOL to demonstrate, he took the laser from me and shined it in his own eyes!!!!! I am not sure how his sight is now but he is a giant N00B!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Dude, your parents are protecting you. Show them your maturity.

I bought my DX 200mW when I was 13 (I'm 14 now) which I had to send back anyway. I had it for 2 days, and not once did it get anywhere NEAR my face.
I had a party afew weeks ago with about 20 people. 20 14/15 year olds. I took out my green 30mW laser, so people could check it out. They were getting bored. One of them managed to pick it up when I put it on the table when I got a drink. He was shining it at people. I got pissed so I grabbed him and told him that ishining it in people's faces is a stupid thing to do.

Or just say you want money in paypal for investments and use that. It's what I did.

el-taco said:
Show them your maturity.
I got pissed so I tackled him to the ground (grass) and told him that if he shines it at someones face then I'd blind him aswell.

lol, whut?

Murudai said:
[quote author=el-taco link=1210996697/24#25 date=1214103476]Show them your maturity.
I got pissed so I tackled him to the ground (grass) and told him that if he shines it at someones face then I'd blind him aswell.

lol, whut?
[/quote]

Basically he was trying to shine it in peoples eyes so grabbed him to get my laser and told him that shining it in people's eyes is a stupid thing to do.

el-taco said:
Basically he was trying to shine it in peoples eyes so *tackled* (loose term, dont worry) him to get my laser and told him that if he made someone blind, Id blind him too.

Sorry to break it to you, but that isn't mature at all.

'Tackling' someone to the ground and then threatening to blind them is very immature and childish. If I was your dad and I heard you saying stuff like that, there is no way I'd let you have that laser.

Murudai said:
[quote author=el-taco link=1210996697/24#27 date=1214107366]
Basically he was trying to shine it in peoples eyes so *tackled* (loose term, dont worry) him to get my laser and told him that if he made someone blind, Id blind him too.

Sorry to break it to you, but that isn't mature at all.

'Tackling' someone to the ground and then threatening to blind them is very immature and childish. If I was your dad and I heard you saying stuff like that, there is no way I'd let you have that laser.

[/quote]

I dont think you are correctly comprehending the context of it.

Sorry, Im not looking for an argument so Ill edit my post and leave it there.

el-taco said:
I dont think you are correctly comprehending the context of it.

Our society does not work on the principle of 'an eye for an eye' (lol). If a robber steals from you, you aren't allowed to steal from him. If someone was to murder your wife, you aren't allowed to murder them in return.

If that person were to blind someone, you get the police. Though, I don't see it going well for you either way since the laser is your responsibility. And thus you are responsible for the actions of anyone who you allow to hold your laser.

</dad>

Well, I've made my point. I don't want an argument either, I'm guessing you just made an empty bluff anyway :)

Murudai said:
Well, I've made my point. I don't want an argument either, I'm guessing you just made an empty bluff anyway :)

You've pretty much nailed it right there in your last 9 words.