Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How much voltage is too much for blu-ray?

ok so my next project will be a blu-ray laser using the PHR-803T. so i am gonna use a driver from here this time.
http://stonetek.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=71&products_id=225
next im gonna get a mxdl host that uses triple A batteries so that i can get a custom heatsink from jayrob.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3405
so on that note i read that i should use 10440 3.6v batteries for that host since they are a good size. is three of these 3.6v batteries too much voltage for the flex drive that i will be using or is it ok to go good?

jayrob

That driver you linked above is not a FlexDrive. It is rkcstr's driver. Which is an excellent driver. But for AAA sized batteries, you would want to use 2 X 3.6 volt 10440 batteries, and a blank for the 3rd.

If you were to use a FlexDrive with the 3405 host, then use 3 X AAA batteries. Primary or rechargeable...
Jay

ok so sounds good then. ill use the rkcstr driver. ok i finally got my 650nm done and am super happy with it now are there any laser goggles i can get that will block both 650nm and 405nm for when i build the blu-ray? otherwise if not would my sunglasses work for the 405nm?

jayrob

You'll have to search around in the buy, sell, trade section for the goggles. I just use 'blublockers' sunglasses, but they are really not true safety goggles...
Jay

k sounds good. plus can you give me info on buying your 3405 heatsink for aixiz whenever you get a chance. im gonna adventually get one so that my blu-ray diode will be nice and safe.

jayrob

PM sent!

P.S. For a rkcstr driver/blu-ray, you may want to consider a 4171 host instead. This will hold 2 X 3.6 volt RCR123 batteries...
Jay

chaosfourever said:
are there any laser goggles i can get that will block both 650nm and 405nm for when i build the blu-ray?

Not that I know of, just buy two separate kinds (one for red and one for violet), and you should be fine.

chaosfourever said:
otherwise if not would my sunglasses work for the 405nm?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LTVQzc75YiQ[/media]

This goes for ALL wavelengths of laser, including red and blu-ray. Your eyes are worth much more than the money you will pay for two pairs of safety goggles.

-Mark

jayrob

Yes, that battery/driver combination will work for your blu-ray. 3.6 batts, not 3.0 volt...

For either host (4171, or 3405), you will have to use the stock circuit board just for getting lead wires. (positive and negative). When you get your host, you will see how the negative (outer ring) of the round circuit board has a small wire that is 'pinched' between the board, and the aluminum threaded driver mount.

Just take note of how the circuit board is grounded to the host. The rest is easy. Finding the correct solder points on the board for a positive and negative lead to connect to your driver...
Jay

ok so from the site u gave me it says "Suitable for use with red lasers. These Laser Shades are built to provide complete eye protection from red lasers with wavelengths of 640nm to 750nm.
OD>2.5 for 190-420nm, OD>3 for 640-750nm"

so what it is saying is that these are good for both 405nm and 650nm?
thx for this link btw :) these are even a good price.

OD 2.5 would mean that if you were hit directly through the goggles with 100mW of blu-ray, only 0.5mW would pass into your eyes. So yes, these look like a good pair of goggles, if they protect as well as they claim. (You can just shine the laser through the goggles for a second or two onto the wall, and it should be pretty dim. Just not for too long, or you will bleach the dyes.)

-Mark

i am trying to build a blu-ray laser pointer, what is the limit on the voltage i can put to the diode? if i get a driver will it regulate the power?