Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How much press fit for a laser Diode?

Anthony P

My electronics knowledge is strictly amateur level. I wonder if you could make a simple voltage divider off the 12v main input with a fixed resistor and pot for 0-5v?

reloader45

Hello,

I will try it with a poti. and a zener Diode. I will take the 12 V from the fan.

Just another question, can anyone tell me, what is the thread size of the 20 mm DTR module? Not the M9*0,5 mm.

best regards

Edgar

adalah

Loving this thread, very interesting discussion
o.png

reloader45

Hello,

yes, I did it. With a 6,3 V Zener diode and a 1 K Ohm Poti, I built a 5,7 V power supply from the 12 V of the fan.
The laser is well regulated with the voltage from 0V to 5,7 V. I think , i will add a normal diode to get the voltage down to 5 V. I did some cutting test. The diode cuts Styrodur, 3 cm thickness, although the cut is wide (aprox. 2 mm)
It is a real power diode, so everything behind the styrodur gets burned. I have to take special precautions, otherwise I will burn my hobby room down.

best regards

Edgar

PorcupineHat

5.58mm is okay,or 5.6mm -2%mm

This is very helpful, i can't find this information anywhere.
i am also designing a press fit laser mount however i tried a 2% (5.5 mm +-0.02 mm) and it was too tight and the diode broke.

i figured that i just need a slightly larger hole so i will buy a drill Reamer.
Did you try a 5.58 hole ? was the heat transfer sufficient? would a 5.55 hole be better?

please and thank you,

This is very helpful, i can't find this information anywhere.
i am also designing a press fit laser mount however i tried a 2% (5.5 mm +-0.02 mm) and it was too tight and the diode broke.

i figured that i just need a slightly larger hole so i will buy a drill Reamer.
Did you try a 5.58 hole ? was the heat transfer sufficient? would a 5.55 hole be better?

please and thank you,
5,58-5,60 is fine
5,6mm still fine
5,55 to 5,56 is very hard to press,you can make diode broken