Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How much heat is normal?

I just got another PL-E Pro today(1.6W 462nm), and I notice that it gets warm a lot quicker than my 600mW 532nm PL-E Pro. I haven't been into the laser scene in maybe a year or so, but I would've expected it to warm up at around the same pace as my DPSS green.

diodes produce shit loads of heat yeah. i mean 1,6W is hell alot more then DPSS but u cant compare them just like that 2 different laser technology.

Last edited:
diodes produce shit loads of heat yeah. i mean 1,6W is hell alot more then DPSS but u cant compare them just like that 2 different laser technology.

1.6W is the diodes optical output not its heat output , heat output is the voltage drop over the diode around 4.9V ish id guess and the drive current multiplied together then take the optical power away from that to give the diodes Eff and heat output .

Based on the 9mm 462nm diode running at 1.65W optical output at 1.5A / 4.9V ( based on DTRs site ) so that's 7.35W of Power , now minus the 1.65 optical and that leaves you with 5.7W of heat from the diode .

as for a DPSS , based on diodes alone the 808nm diode would be more efficient than a 462nm diode thus for the same optical power the 808nm would produce less heat but that doesn't take into account any other losses in the DPSS

Last edited:
So with a diode and DPSS laser of the same power output, which would reach a higher temperature? I always thought that it would be the DPSS since they aren't quite as efficient and have to use more energy.

I think ionlaser555 did a good enough job of explaining how to figure that out. Calculate power in, you have an idea of power out.

(battery power in) - (optical power out) = (waste heat)

The rest depends on how efficient the components are.