Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how do you get the diode out?

I have an axiz I bought with the diode in since they were out of stock of the empty ones. Anyways I cant get the diode or circuit board out of the housing. It just seems stuck. Is it just glued in? Should I put it in the oven?

S

SenKat

if you do not want to save the diode (I never do !) use something in the barrel of the laser module, and tap it out with a hammer. Some folks (like me !) use an ice pick, and it punches right out !

G !

ericab

no. the answer has been covered many times on this forum. a wooden dowell/ pliers / patience and a steady hand will be more then enough. if you dont care about the diode; give it hell [smiley=evil.gif]

Benm

You could use a dowell, i recently used a metal bit holder - the kind that goes in to a cordless drill and has a hex opening to fit a bit in. Put the module on the edge of a table (pcb sticks down over the edge), insert the bit with the 'closed' end down into the module.

I gave it a few taps with a hammer and it came out fine. The can is a bit dented, but the diode is otherwise okay - and works perfectly fine when re-inserted.

Well after reading one of Mike's posts, I now use a nail in a drill press. Just added a piece of leather to the back of the nail head and put the business end of the nail into the press. Works great.

S

SenKat

AndrewAZ said:
Ok good tips.. Thanks.. I just didnt want to damage the circuit board.

The circuit board will do you no good unless you plan on using it for another 5mw diode....

G !

Benm

It wont, but having the 5mw unit intact can be usefull i guess... like to test-fit another casing without risking an expensive diode.

Or put the whole thing as a power-on led on something, a 'led' that speckles is cool, right? ;)

S

SenKat

ANYTHING sparkly-glowy is cool ! I just did not want you to make the assumption that it was going to be useful for the higher powered reds... ;)

G !