Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how do i know if i have an ir filter

One method would be to put a green filter in front of your laser, then use a cheap digital camera with no IR filter to check for the presence of IR...

I've seen people use a glass of cola as a filter for green, apparently IR passes right through it... If you have a cheap cellphone camera, you should be able to see a dot.

PS: Depending on the power of your laser I'd be much more afraid of green than IR, since IR diverges so much when focused for green. IR dangers are overrated, be afraid of green instead.

is there a differnet way i just burned the lens on my two computer cameras and my iphone

Uhh. You don't want to shine any laser directly into a camera lens, that would probably damage the camera.

What I meant by that is shine your laser through a glass of cola, the green will be absorbed by the brown color of the drink, yet the IR will pass through and make a dot on any surface behind the glass. Take a picture of the area behind the glass and if there's leakage of IR you should see a white or purplish dot in your picture.

shine it into your eye...if you go blind then you know its not filtered.... ::)

but seriously you should see a green looking piece of glass in the emitting side of the laser. most times the ir filter is added last...

You could always buy Infrared goggles IR goggles  :cool:. Otherwise just go with the coke bottle method. ;) Those goggles do look pretty interesting though...