Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How do I focus this diode to the smallest point?

ObsessingLaserDude

Hello everyone again! I got the Nichia Nubm44 7W laser module, with a lens and such. And of course the Astral Super drive V 5A driver. I've been testing it and its kind of incredible how much light it produces. But I hand tighten the lens cap to the closest it gets but it still produces a relatively large rectangle. Is this not how your supposed to focus it? Or what? How do I get the tightest beam? Also, when is it supposed to produce a beam? Thanks again!

Sowee7

Hello everyone again! I got the Nichia Nubm44 7W laser module, with a lens and such. And of course the Astral Super drive V 5A driver. I've been testing it and its kind of incredible how much light it produces. But I hand tighten the lens cap to the closest it gets but it still produces a relatively large rectangle. Is this not how your supposed to focus it? Or what? How do I get the tightest beam? Thanks again!
Multimode diodes like the one that you own arnt to amazing in beam specs, they can’t really be focused down Into as small of a dot as singlemode diodes can

What lens are you using ?

A G2 will make a bar ( looks like a line ) when focused at 15 feet ( 5m ) that's 2 inches long ( 50mm ) but a G8 lens will cut that in half to 1 inch ( 25mm )

If your using a G2 then try a G8 or a 3 element.

Make sure to wear your laser safety glasses when working with that laser.

Sowee7

try adjusting the lens focus until you see the smallest dot size

Hi,
As Red Cowboy said G8 Or 3 Element lens will do the trick. G2Lens if you want full power and dont mind the wings / bar.
Rich:)

Psyrex

Is it possible to focus/ refocus the beam with an exterior set of lenses ?

I like to use cylindrical lenses to correct for the very aggressive fast axis divergence of the nubm44.

Last edited:

Psyrex

That’s great RedCowboy, I thought it would be possible to refocus but you never know with lasers if there’s a reason why not. Thank you.

That company I linked has a nifty little " sparrow " unit with beam correction for your projector or personal build, as always laser safety glasses and proper laser safety procedures are necessary at all times as the corrected beam has a much longer eye hazard distance so be careful and always lase safely.

mini_module_corrected_q.png