Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

How can I waterproof a laser?

I would like to start selling lasers for some college income. Building them is not to challenging since all of the parts needed (host, driver, diode, heatsink, etc.) can be found pre-manufactured.

Before I start "mass producing" lasers I would like to know if there is any way that an individual can reliably waterproof a laser. ALL high end LED flashlights and even the high end lasers that are available are waterproof at least to a few feet, but a homemade laser shouldn't even be used in the rain.

I have seen a couple threads that include adding a glass window, like a flashlight has, over the diode... but that doesn't look professional like many of the medium-high power lasers sold commercially.

How can I, as an individual, waterproof a laser so it can be taken into a larger variety of operating conditions?

Honestly go for what the lpfers are into. And responsible people. Not many are into underwater lasers. But it could be your selling point. All you need is some o-rings and well that's it.

A solid one piece host and a couple o-rings should work, I think :thinking:

sinner

It isnt being done for a reason.. not many people are into specifically waterproofing their lasers because they like the freedom of focusing/defocusing whenever they want..

But If there's something on your mind , Should be internesting to see what you can come up with..

Should be able to get a host with o rings to waterproof the host itself. Issue woukd be the threads around the lens nut and possibly the lens itself that would be the issue. A little bit of pipe tape around the nut and a very small bead of silicon around the edge of the lens will make it resistant to water. Would almost have to design a host yourself or build a heatsink that would hold everything behind the window on a flashlight thats already waterproof. But then you will need to find an AR glass window the same size

Last edited:
Should be able to get a host with o rings to waterproof the host itself. Issue woukd be the threads around the lens nut and possibly the lens itself that would be the issue. A little bit of pipe tape around the nut and a very small bead of silicon around the edge of the lens will make it resistant to water. Would almost have to design a host yourself or build a heatsink that would hold everything behind the window on a flashlight thats already waterproof. But then you will need to find an AR glass window the same size

I also see a problem with air not being able to make it behind the lens. If there's a vacuum back there it will probably change focus on it's own... Might make for less heat though.

Unless the lens somehow moves the pressure wont change provided its air tight.