Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

how bad will the divergence get...

if i take the crystals out of a greenie. my boss wants me to look into an ir gun sight for him but i cant seem to find one anywhere. he wants something that will stay in place for the most part. im not even sure where he got the green sight from. if i cant mod this one does anyone know of a good place to get an ir laser sight similar to this:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.13137

but not as cheaply made? he said he just wants something that he wont have to re-adjust every time he fires the gun 2 or 3 times.

hi small question.

Why does he want a ir gunsight?
is he using it with night vision goggles ?

A green gunsight wont be any problem but would not recomend the dx one
those are extremely low quality

I think it really depends on the greenie you have. If the diode isn't multimode and is like your common 808nm pump diode it should have bad divergence if you can find a good way to focus it. It is kind of a pain to focus the IR light when you remove the crystals from a greenie.

Its possible, but not worth the effort. The diode will not be collimated, basically a flashlight. At that point youre probably best off buying an IR laser or building one from the ground up. I do have 808nm units I could sell, but theyre >400mW intended more for burning so they will likely be out of the budget for a sight - not to mention the divergence will be a lot higher than that of a nice green laser pointer.

thanks for the replies guys! he wants an ir sight to use with night vision. i guess ill see if he has a red one i can mod to ir but ill have to look into getting another driver too which is the main reason i didnt want to try that. :-/