Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hoping someone can help with hacking a Nintendo Switch battery...

So my great nephew has a Switch Lite that stopped charging, upon taking it apart I found the charge port solid but it's pins bent back in.
Repair isn't far from replacing price wise, and something I'm not willing to even try as it's soldered to the mainboard.
I came up with the idea of running an external battery and mounting two 18650s on the back so they just pop out for charging. Plus two in parallel will have more capacity than the internal battery.
So here's where I'm looking for some input, the battery has three wires, red +, black -, and gray TH.
After searching it would seem TH is thermistor, however, I get the same V reading across it and - as I do + & -.
The battery has three tabs, -, +, and the third one is connected to the + tab via a LC77AY-1 thermal cutoff.
Edit: After a little further disassembly of the battery, there are only two tabs, the + was connected via the thermal cutoff.
I got two cell 18650 holders coming tomorrow and I'll test it out, firstly bypassing the thermal cutoff.

The two ways I was thinking of wiring up the external battery are connecting 2P directly to the + & - on the mainboard battery connector, or connecting the 2P to the board out of the battery.
Not sure it'll power on w/o V on the gray wire, haven't really tested yet but reusing the battery board seems easy but not sure about the TH. Plus I'll be using the OE battery connector, but even w/p using the board I'd clip the connector wires and reuse the connector.
Also not sure about the unit's cutoff so was thinking of getting protected cells.
Also also, I'd look into removing the charge port to ensure no shorts.

Any input appreciated, I'll be playing around with it through the week after work.
Thanks!
IMG_20230226_190051133.jpg

Last edited:

The battery was fine until I happened to it, the issue is the USB/charge port is boogered.
So instead of a costly port repair I'm attempting an external 18650 array mounted on the back.

Come on man, did you even read the post?! Guess that's what I get asking for Switch help on a laser forum...
:LOL:

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
I read it but I'm also sleep deprived. Think I should get some sleep.
Now that I look at the battery contacts and your pics I see 5 wires for the battery cable and 3 for the board itself. Who knows whats going on with those switch consoles...

It actually quite simplified now for me finding out what I thought was a third battery tab was just the + tab with a thermal protection. The way it was setup made it look like a third tab.
So I'll solder my battery holder to the inputs on the board, first try I'll solder the + so the thermal protection is out of the loop and see if that works. I can't see two 18650s rated at 35a will have a thermal issue...
I ordered a couple of these a while back just to have and will use them for this project

All worked out as far as I can tell, powers on and plays.
I ended up leaving the thermal protection inline, figured it shouldn't hurt anything.
Bored holes through the back and ran the wires out and used a JST connector o ease possible future disassembly.
Hot glue secures my mods.
IMG_20230228_203728_01.jpg