Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Home made host

wby300

I got this laser: eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
I figured for the price I couldnt go wrong. It took about a week to get, actually got it today at about 10 or 11 this morning. It is very solid, and looks like a very good, sturdy unit. I tested it and it worked, looks pretty bright too. So I stood in from of my Smithy and decided I was going to make my own housing for it. I spent between 6-8 hours today working on it, I used a 123 battery and because of this I did not have a big enough die to thread for an end cap so I made a Teflon plug and just made it tight for now. So any way, here are the pics.

Attachments

• IMAG0081.jpg
    IMAG0081.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 391
  • IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    213.1 KB · Views: 337
  • IMAG0083.jpg
    IMAG0083.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 379
  • IMAG0084.jpg
    IMAG0084.jpg
    175.2 KB · Views: 328

Good job.:wave:

We can see on the pics, you don't wear safety google. You must be wear it.:beer:

wby300

Didnt wear them for the pics, do have the glasses though. Yes this was my first laser host, I have made quite a few things on the machine, on this laser I also turned down the button for the switch. I am looking at some more items for my machine and then I can do a lot more, my apron has been sent back and hopefully I can do threading when it comes back. I am getting a knurler and better boring bar also. My next one will be a lot better!

Lol Nope she is asleep, upside down. I rotated the picture.
But your comment is funny!

wby300

That looks pretty good!
How are ya liking that smithy?

Never even noticed you asked about my Smithy, better late than never on this subject. It is a good machine to learn on, I know a lot of people say not to buy Smithy, to get a cheaper no name machine. I can say yes and no to this statement. You can save money by getting the cheaper machine but will probably regret it unless you have access to cheap Chinese machine parts. I have had a few problems with mine and all were covered under the 2 year warranty. Now if my problems would have been bearings or something easily found I would say I could have done better going no name. But the few things that went out on my machine, I probably could have never found replacements.
I can say its luck of the draw, my machine is not square, and through all my efforts, never will be. I purchased a Grizzly G704 mill last year in July and just last month got it fixed, electrical problem from day 1. The machine is a lot better quality than Smithy but their "tech" department SUCKS! I haven't even used the Grizzly mill yet, going cnc with it soon. So either way you run the risk of down time and just need to take into consideration replacement parts and quality at start. No matter what do not fall for the packages Smithy sells for boring or turning, buy the accessories separate, will save money and they will be what you need and not half what you need and some you will never use.