Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hololens 2 Teardown - RGB Laser Identification Help

s2upid

Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could help me identify what kind RGB Lasers are being used in the Hololens 2? I bought a XR10 HL2 variant a few months ago with the goal of identifying the mems manufacturer in the display. I very amateurishly destroyed everything, and reached my goal.

I stumbled upon this website and I was wondering if any of you fine folks had any idea of what we're seeing in the following photos, or who possible produces the laser diodes?

Sorry in advance if this is the wrong place to ask... I've got a lot more photos than these in the links below.

nDwMepI.jpg

EfzWHDf.jpg

5NZfU3g.jpeg

EJ6qVVj.jpeg

c20iRxV.jpeg

YEP1dx3.jpg

QYbfUWs.jpeg

gOw5Wiv.jpeg

Thanks in advance,
s2

Your goal is to identify the manufacturer of the the diodes, why?
Your three common likely sources are Orsam, Sharp, and Nichia. Maybe someone else have another suggestion.

Diode package looks like either to33 or to38, and noteworthy are the 4 pins which is uncommon.

However, these diodes may be completely custom and not have any public datasheets.

Last edited:

s2upid

Just trying to complete some DD (due dilligence) for investment purposes... as augmented reality displays seems to be at an inflection point with the bigs (MSFT AAPL FB GOOGL)

The roadmap for these laser beam scanning based light engines are calling for wider field of views (110deg), foveated rendering, and combining some sort of IR laser (hopefully it's eye safe? LOL) inside that RGB Laser module to help track users iris' to help with displaying the image in the retina.

There's been examples of Sharp/Socle-Tech having a partnership with the company that developed the laser beam scanning tech inside the Hololens 2.

aO9zcAu.png

Anyways the end goal for me is trying to figure out if we'll end up seeing these Type-3 lasers in these heads up displays sooner or later...

sp15_o.jpg

edit: Thanks for the info FireMyLaser :) i'm really out of my depth in all of this.. the info about it being completely custom with no public datasheet is some good info.

gazer101

Seems to me like most of this technology's magic comes from whatever tiny MEMS mirror (and LCD system, otherwise images would be limited to wireframe) they are using to rapidly scan between eyes to give a coherent HUD.
Decent lasers are not hard to come by nowadays

They may use IR LEDs and cameras for eye tracking, but I'm not sure.
I'm more concerned about the MEMS being fail-safe and not shooting a static beam straight in the eye due to mechanical failure or software crash...

Seems to me like most of this technology's magic comes from whatever tiny MEMS mirror (and LCD system, otherwise images would be limited to wireframe) they are using to rapidly scan between eyes to give a coherent HUD.
Decent lasers are not hard to come by nowadays
I'm pretty sure it is MEMS only. The tech has been around for about a decade in mini projectors.

Last edited: