Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hmm.......upgrading a 100mW laser?

I was wondering since you can upgrade a 5mW laser into a 100mW easily,is it possible to upgrade a 100mW laser even more(starting with a 5mW)?

If you are talking trying to pot mod a green laser, which i assume this is what you are talking about let me refer you to this.

Quote Chipdouglas

"
Q. What is a pot?
A. A pot (potentiometer) is an adjustable electronic component used to adjust the output current of your driver (sloppy answer, but to the point)

Q. Does my laser have a pot?
A. How am I supposed to know? But seriously google images "potentiometer" and see if your driver has something similar.
or go here http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=smd+potentiometer+images

Q. Will adjusting my pot affect the life of my laser?
A. Yes it will. If you get any life after at all.

Q. Why is there so much hostility towards me/my question.
A. Because you didn't bother using the search button!!!!

Q. Will I ever be able to get my <5mw to burn matches by pot modding it?
A. NO!!!!!

Q. Will pot modding make my Green DPSS laser more dangerous.
A. Yes it will. By increasing the Green Power, you also increase the IR power.

Q. I made a new post titled "help me pot mod my laser" but i did'nt get any hits or positve feed back?
A. Once again it goes back to you not using the search button first!!!! "

the above was taken from this thread, more info on pot modding can be found at this link
http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/showthread.php?t=40510

Basically what all of this is saying is that pot modding is not worth it!

Resumé :

YOU CAN NOT POT MOD A LASER, YOU CAN NOT ALWAYS THRUST WHAT YOU SEE ON THE INTERNET!

I am pissed offff by the people who think it's magic!

Sorry,

I'm just saying it depends on what you have. Most of my lasers are home made and have adjustable drivers in them so you can of course "pot mod" them.

Now, the OP was probably talking about cheap, low powered manufactured lasers ledlights. Most of these of course cannot be "pot modded" as most don't even have a pot.

That's why I was saying he can't pot mod it. And even if it has a pot, he'll blow it in a second...

You want a 100mW? Then buy one!!!

Switch

I was wondering since you can upgrade a 5mW laser into a 100mW easily,is it possible to upgrade a 100mW laser even more(starting with a 5mW)?

Yes. You swap out the 5mW module for a 100mW module, that's the only way you are actually "upgrading" it. Then, you swap out the 100mW module for an even more powerful module!:undecided: