Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi there.

Doofus

Hello.

Just recently found this informative site, been browsing daily for a bit now, finally decided to register.

Pete from MD.

So... let's see now, I guess back in 2003-04 I decided I wanted a bright laser pointer, cool color optional. I ended up buying a $80 <5mw red laser pointer off ebay and loving it. Somebody gave emailed me instructions on how to mess with the pot, and I played with it until the output increased significantly. At some point, maybe a year later, I decided I wanted a brighter one. A buddy of mine was doing some reseller work in florida and recommended a wickedlaser that he stocked. We negotiated, I gave him a (lol) private counter-strike server for a year and $100. He sent me one of the 95mw nexus lasers from wicked.

Fast forward a year, the laser's divergence one day is HUGE. Like the size of my fist from a meter away. So I email the wicked lasers guy with the original order info, and he pays for shipping to china, and replaces it. This was after the warranty was up btw, probably like 6 months beyond the warranty in fact. 6 months later, it happens again. This time when I email, I get forwarded to some other guy, and he requires the original info, and the warranty information. Long story short, no second replacement, but not a big deal really. I only use it for hobby work and stargazing, so... not exactly a requirement in my daily life (and they're just so much fun to play with).

Now. I don't have the cash for one of their lasers, I want a bright one, but one visit to the page and I'm hiding my cc from myself. Long story short, I was looking for some reviews, found this forum, smiled happily, and ordered a 200mw waterproof red from o-like. For... oh, let's say... $200 less, haha.

Many thanks to those who've posted reviews and instructions for DIY projects on the boards, I've been reading them all week. I'm not really ready to take on a DIY laser, but if I have the time in the future, I definitely know where to head first. Next I'm definitely getting a green, then most certainly a blue, because they look that cool. So thanks once again, and I'm glad to see good information is available on these things.

P.S I was issued a low-power aiming laser in the army, sorta want to build my own for rails now.

- Pete.

cust11

Welcome to the forum!

On another note, I highly suggest a DIY kit! Jayrob offers some of the most SIMPLE builds with such great professional results. Take a look around I am sure you will find some things to catch your interest.

-Mike

welcome.gif
to the forum....

I can see that you've already saved yourself some $$$$ by reading the
Threads/Posts on LPF...
If all the New Members knew about "our secret"... they could all possibly
save money...:yh:

Jerry

I love hearing when people save a heck of a lot of money by coming here. We defy the laser corporations! haha

Doofus

I wish I'd known as much as I've learned in the past week... a few years ago. Would've saved probably in excess of $1k.

Thanks for the heads up on the DIY cust11.