Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi guys

Undertoker

Hi guys
I’m new to the forum I thought I would say hello my name is John and I’m from the UK.
I’ve always been interested in torches and lasers and have recently started a collection which began with an Imalent MS06 and then an ace beam w30.
ive now just purchased a second hand Arctic spider 3 (the 3000mw version)
im interested to pick up the various lens kit for it and also the x10 lens expander but cannot seem to find any for sale anywhere
I am uk based so it’s pretty easy to get them delivered to me if I can find either
the search goes on.
anyway hi to all and I look forward to,learning a few bits and hopefully sourcing the expander and lens kit in due course
regards
john

Unown (WILD)

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Welcome John! Good to have you.

Undertoker

Thanks for the nice welcome guys
The plan ultimately is to eventually build my own hand held laser but rather then bombard everyone with umpteen questions - I like to sit back and lurk and learn a bit by making some effort and having a search through the forum at a sedate pace
it seem fairly easy to build a good laser if you do some homework and make effort - the latter being the key to success
it’s nice to see so many enthusiasts
hello from the UK anyway 😊

I can’t lie, “torch” sure does sound a lot cooler than “flashlight”.

A friend of mine turned me onto the idea of carrying a small torch next to my knife, and I haven’t looked back since. It’s crazy how inadequate a phone light is, and how you don’t realize how deficient it is until you get an edc torch.

I quit hyperfocusing on torches before I started buying really nice ones (I’m sure I’ll come around to them again, it’s kind of all or nothing), but I did get a couple of models that I really like. I got that coyote tan Streamlight 66608 Microstream that everybody seems to like, and it’s in my pocket every day. I really do love that thing. It’s tiny, 250 lumens, and makes a nice floodlight that I find super useful. I also bought the Olight I5t EOS to pocket while on wildfires. AA batteries are as abundant on wildfires as the air you and I breathe, so I wanted something that I KNEW I would always be able to power, no matter what, no matter how long. I have a nice headlamp on my hardhat and keep a 3x C-cell LED Maglite in the dozer for if I know I’m gonna need some good light for a long time, but it’s so nice to have that Olight in my pocket for backup or when I some quick, extra light. I originally bought the copper version of it, and I think it only cost me $35, but I ended up losing it (the clip got weak), and when I went back to buy another they were $100-$200. 😣 I’m not going to pay that for something I bought for a fraction of the price before. So I got an I5t EOS, just not the Cu version. I just looked and it looks like they’re selling a brass version now. Interesting.

Anyway, all that to say, Welcome, John from the UK! I don’t know if I’m supposed to say welcome or not, seeing as how I’ve only been here all of a week, but whatever. I don’t want to be impolite!

What are your favorite torches? Do you like the bigger stuff or the more EDC oriented torch sizes? Do you have any recommendations for brands or models?

Grace and peace,
Ryan from Texas

Undertoker

hi Ryan
i prefer flashlights as they are more practical but a spot lamp does do a specific task and many do it it very well.
I like the Acebeam W30 but in honesty it isn’t very practical and not really useable in reality, but it does a great job of spotting and showing off the Laser excited phosphorus tech they have now - it is very impressive.

I like flashlights (torches here in the uk 😂) that I can put in my jacket pocket ideally as primarily I’m a dog Walker and it was this need that first really kindled my interest in flashlight and laser tech and has encouraged me to buy a few.
I love walking my dog at night through the local woods at the back of my house and it’s good fun taking a good torch as you see a lot of the wildlife out at night and I guess I’ve always loved the night time.

I remember as a young lad I was in the scouts and I went on a trip to Holland and linked up with a Dutch troop.
they took us into the local woods there and we played games that involved high powered flashlights and us trying to sneak into camp and avoid the beams - it was really good fun and that time in particular as a child I think really ignited my love for decent lights an interesting that lingers to this day as a direct result of that experience

i was initially attracted to the Imalent MS18 but after seeing it in action it sounds like a jet engine and I value the silence too much not to want one with active cooling so I went for the MS06 which I really do like for walking the dog

I also still have a few old maglites in my tool box that are at least 20 years old now I bet
i also have a few nice head torches and one is a Petzl and a bit of a beast

I recently took delivery of a second hand wicked laser - it’s an old one but it works well and I’m pleased with it, and I d0 note there are a few people who dislike them - but again I’m no expert
its an old Arctic Spyder III and it’s a 3000mw version which I cannot even find listed anywhere to get specific info on.
it’s seems to be 1w, 2w and 3.5w but I haven’t seen a 3w anywhere listed past or present

I’m no expert but it seems to work well and whilst I’m not an expert and don’t have the kit to see what power it actually throws out I’m going to get a new set of batteries and a decent charger as the WL charger looks pretty poor.
one of the batteries I got is certainly shot I think

but I’m here to learn a bit and perhaps even build a decent laser myself one day as well as ask a few questions

Last edited:
John, I’ve gotta tell you, I’ve been hyperfocusing on flashlights ever since I saw you talking about them. I went to see what Olight has been up to lately (they’re a favorite of mine), and ended up already ordering a couple of new ones and am probably about to purchase a third. From the models you were talking about it seems like you’re more into the bigger stuff. I like EDC sized stuff for the most part, but like to have a good “thrower” in my truck and at home, and am probably going to buy one from Olight here shortly.

I saw that they just recently released the i5t EOS (the simple, two mode, 1x AA light I mentioned earlier that I use to have in copper) in brass, and had to buy it. Then I started reading reviews and watching YouTube videos and ended up ordering their “Warrior Mini” in copper as well (I’m a sucker for Cu). That Warrior Mini looks like a great torch for my needs. I’m probably about to pull the trigger on their Warrior X Pro here shortly. I like the idea of having something technically small enough for edc that can throw like that. I probably won’t wear it on my person, but rather in my backpack that I carry everywhere (I mean, I guess you could consider that “on my person”, but you know what I mean).

Ive been eyeballing the hell out of two Sanwu hosts for my first fancy laser. The Red (Cu) Guardian, and the Ranger. It’s extremely likely I’ll end up having both within a couple of months, but I’m trying to figure out which one to buy first. The Ranger had definitely took the lead for me, but now that I bought that beautiful looking Warrior Mini in Cu, I might just have to get that Red Guardian to match.

Man... I can’t believe I’m obsessing about lasers and torches simultaneously right now. This could get expensive, lol.

I looked up the torches you mentioned and I gotta say, those things are crazy! That MS06 had a unique shape/size. Looks almost like a soda can or something. That thing can put out some light! I bet the wildlife that you spoke of don’t even know how to react with that thing turning the woods to daylihht

On the subject of lasers:
I’m really torn about which part of the spectrum and how much wattage I should go for for my first laser. I love the 488-492nm color, but I’ve been eyeballing these powerful blues and greens for so long that 100-150mw sounds puny to me. And when I do the brightness calculations, the cyan beams and dots are a fraction of those greens and powerful blues. That’s one reason I was really attracted to Ranger, because I could buy a powerful blue or green, but easily adjust the power down if necessary to make it more friendly in more situations. And this is where I’m really torn with the Red Guardian. It’s such a nice host and that copper cools really well, I don’t really want to make it a 100mw laser. But I’m not a big fan of the multi-mode, and that’d be the only way I could dial it back if I got a more powerful setup for it. So I really can’t make up my mind. I never thought it would have taken me this long to pick one out. I did my homework and ordered those torches in no time. But this laser is taking me forever to decide on. Let us know how your laser likes your new batteries.

Grace and peace,
Ryan

Commander J. Bloodmaker

welcome aboard the ss lpf. please refrain from hanging over the railing or out the windows. the dinning room is open 24 hours a day, a pool and gym is located on deck 3 and 9 as well as the pools and wave pool on the deck and crows nest. please keep an eye out for icebergs and uboats.

hi, I'm new here as well, not new to electronics or lasers, but i built my first laser a little over a month ago, and have built so many since my friends think I'm nuts. Doesn't stop them from buying my creations though. lol. I'm not to hard into pens, more in to modules and 120v from the wall powering my beasts. Yep, long cabled 100% duty cycle high powered lasers, at my finger tips. Even use 'em to trim my pet guard hogs nails, he lives inside the house. Now if you were looking for optics on building your own rigs, I could help ya out and point ya at my supplier, but I don't think he deals with pens very much at all, mainly larger lasers and optics. You could ask him though. If interested pm me, he's really easy to find. He's Chinese though, so you have to wait a few hours for a reply after emailing, time zones aye. Tell him the fat beam crazy customer of his sent you his way and if he can help, might even give a discount. I spend more than I should with him, but I can't help it. His wares are awesome.