Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi Guys I'm new :)

GSS

I think it will work out very well with Lifetime17, "Rich"
No need to Edit your post but very polite in your thinking.:) I'f you have something to add you can always post again as some might miss any new updates. Plus there's a few post's and a day or more later in between. Some new members just post a whole lot of in a span of minutes which clogs up the thread.. I personally don't mind a few double post's anyways;)

And what Hakzaw mentioned,;) 2W+ is a whole of power and you just might think WOW I just don't need much more.
Those NDG7875's 445 diode's that can do 3W are also just about the limit as far as a nice beam and spot. They are hard to find now like mentioned. Any available higher ones like the NUM44 have terrible beam a spec's and aren't much fun after even 6 feet without extra optic's, lenses etc. that will get more expensive..

Last edited:

Hak and GSS have made great points - Even 1W is a lot of power, and there's more to a laser than raw power. Beam specs and dot shape also play into the experience - and these go downhill fast as you get more power with the big powerful multimode diodes.

What's not really been mentioned thus far is safety - the amount of power you're talking about owning can be seriously dangerous? What kind of laser goggles do you own at present - cause you really ought to budget for some decent ones if you're going to build a multi-watt laser... I recently bought a red 1ish watt 638nm laser from another forum member and I won't be powering it up until my goggles for red wavelengths arrive in the post...

Reactions: GSS

Jiggel

Thanks hakzaw1.

I apologize, I felt like my question didn't belong here when I posted but I went ahead anyway for some reason. That is my mistake.
I updated my account details to reflect my location (Ottawa). :D
I got in touch with Lifetime17 (as suggested by GSS) and I think he's gonna hook me up with a laser build, so if everything goes right I won't need anymore assistance.

Great to know that laser technology is improving. The laser laser I purchased was >4 years ago, so a lot of these things are new.

edit:
To address Immo1282's and GSS's concerns:
I thought it would be implied that safety glasses would be necessary. I own two pairs. They are both for green wavelengths so I'll be purchasing a new pair to go with my (what will probably be blue) laser. I use my lasers in a room with almost no reflective surfaces, no easily-combustible materials (unless it's intentional), and I never operate them when there's other people or animals around.
1W is ridiculous as it is, I totally agree. There's NO need for this much power. Having said that, I want the absolute maximum destructive capability I can get. The brightness of the beam, to me, is a secondary priority (otherwise I'd get a very visible green wavelength).

Last edited:
Okay - glad to know you're aware of the safety concerns! Only reason we press it is because often there are requests from people that have no understanding of how dangerous to the eyes these lasers can be.

Good luck with your build from Rich - haven't bought anything from him yet myself but his work is beautiful and he knows a heck of a lot, so you're in very safe hands!

Jiggel

Thanks :D He definitely seems like he knows what he's doing! Safety is the most important thing, I totally get it. I'm glad you guys take it seriously.

GSS

Good to know about the glasses.. if they are red or orange lensed they might cover the blue laser but don't take my word on something as important as your eye's.
Jiggel if they are the generic ebay ones you will need to upgrade soon to a better pair of Eagle's.
Not only are the Eagles rated anywhere from OD4 to OD6 they have better light visiblety to better see what your burning.
2W's of blue 445nm is also pretty visible..
To add why would you worry about needing assistance? This is a place that loves to help PLUS you just sold your soul to the addiction of lasers:devilish:

Last edited:
GOOD ONE 'GSS'
BET this time of the year concerns about keeping lases cool are much less! The green DPSS 532 is not happy when cold.
Eagles?? great ---you would be surprised how many laser are gotten BEFORE eye protection is in HAND!! I have even resorted to require proof of proper eyeware ownership as well as proof of age. (< not my rules==sorry)

PM coming about 1W JL 445 PL-E CHEAP (& I have 2pcs FS-gently used as demo only,) priced as a 'host' really. Unique internal focus.

Enjoy it to death and then ---rebuild with much better blue diode..pretty sure it would outlast a set of batts.. 2X 18650s would be nice to know
So if the buyer is 'testing to death' it would be a shame to NOT do this properly and post your results.(for the greater good). IF anyone DOES--I will send them a free Kasio M-150 replacement diode.. 5.6 mm same size.. afaik these are powered by A-130 --the first ones we ever harvested from Kasios-- I sold those diodes to JL.. can you believe that JL could NOT buy Kasio PJs made in China!? They tried.

Diodes that are made in china or japan-go to Kasio China then
used in a PJs that I bought from Ebay ( USA sellers.)
THEN I send the diodes BACK to China for JLs lasers.
WHICH get sold & shipped to USA buyers(>140 pcs at my 10 JL Group Buys) and once again those diodes made a long long trip.
JL has an outstanding and very fair warranty.
You would have to send it BACK to JL in China for fixing THEN JL ships it back..more miles!!

in SOME cases lasers can be sent to me to reship to JL==I save them up and send several at the same time(iirc twice)... Gray usually chooses to NOT repair (IN a rush) so once in my hands-I let Gray know-a report on its condition -and quite often ..JL ships A NEW ONE..so once I have it and report a new one COULD be 'in hand' in less than 4 days.

The USPS forms are a PITA --tiny spaces for long-ass city/provence/ district and more names.. and if not done 'right' there could be problems.. Value?? contents?
Customs must do what they do..I have never had a prob.
Gray pays me back for the cost of this service and I also get samples to test. yay

win win win
len