Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi Folks!

Hello everyone. I've been lurking for several days now and thought that I'd introduce myself.

Like many of you, I've always been a fan of science and learning, and like any aficionado of sci-fi, I have aspirations of turning my garage into a mad scientist's lab.... I just have to convince my wife now that building a Tesla Coil is a good idea, so what better way to do it than constructing a superdestructo laser of doom! (tm) :evil: :shhh:

All kidding aside, I've been itching to start building my own lasers and ended up finding my way here. I have a bit of an electronics background and can readily identify the business end of a soldering iron, but nothing too in depth. One of my goals as part of the process of understanding lasers is to become proficient at understanding and assembling the electronic components.

I bought my first laser pointer back in the early '90s when I was in the service, and thought it was absolutely amazing. It was a red pen style, and not very powerful (It has long since passed and unfortunately I can't remember the exact power). If I recall correctly I think I purchased it for around 100 bucks. Good times... good times...

I'm starting to think about what I want to do for my first project, and I'm thinking about perhaps a 150-200mW red laser (from what I can gather, red diodes seem to be the least expensive as well as the most forgiving), but I'd eventually like to explore the entire spectrum as I progress down the path of laser enlightenment. Who knows, maybe even gas lasers are a possibility someday.

I've found these forums to be incredibly helpful and informative, so thank you all for your contributions. I can only hope that I will be able to do likewise in the future.

Thanks a lot and I'll see you around the forums!

Hey welcome to lpf. Be safe and get the proper safety glasses soo you don't burn your eyes out,,,have fun and enjoy your stay here.

Hi & welcome.
If you want to keep the wife happy you better have a "special" account with lots of bucks set aside `cause before you know it you are going to have some explaining to do. (But Honey, It was such a good deal and it only burns small holes in the walls...)

:crackup:

Hi, thanks guys.

Hi & welcome.
If you want to keep the wife happy you better have a "special" account with lots of bucks set aside `cause before you know it you are going to have some explaining to do. (But Honey, It was such a good deal and it only burns small holes in the walls...)

:crackup:

haha yeah She's already been giving me suspicious looks and eye rolls as I'm trying to explain the virtues of laser building to her. She's cool with it, but I'm going to try not to go to nuts with it - at least for a while.

Define "a while"...ya know, lasers use terms like nanometers and the speed of light and lots of other terms for really, really small/short intervals. Just want to make it clear. :thinking:

:D

Yeah, I'm sure you'll be able to measure it in microseconds.

Last edited:

Denson

Welcome to LPF, please get safety glasses if you dont have any, and keep the wife happy...
" A happy wife is a Happy life" lol

Welcome to LPF, please get safety glasses if you dont have any, and keep the wife happy...
" A happy wife is a Happy life" lol

Thanks, will do. Going to get these bad boys.

I've just finished buying all the components online for my first build, so I'm pretty excited. Can't wait to get started on it.

Just thought I'd drop a quick note here in the hopes that a new member may read it:

I've been lurking and reading A LOT over the past few weeks, and I have to say I've learned more than I ever expected I would. All the information you need is available to you, just take the time to look for it. I built my first DYI laser without asking a single question. :wave:

This is a great community with a lot of knowledgeable people. Use it to your advantage and enjoy your stay.

Thanks, guys.

Thanks, will do. Going to get these bad boys.

I've just finished buying all the components online for my first build, so I'm pretty excited. Can't wait to get started on it.

Welcome Ghost, I plan on getting that pair, or the pair that just covers 190-540nm. (Because I like 532nm the most), I am not a big fan of red laser's, but they are the cheapest DIY builds, so there good to get you started:)

What are you planning on using said red laser for?

I am going to try to melt the moon. (It's made of cheese, right?) :umbrella:

Ok, not really..

I'm interested in building and learning mostly, seeing all the different ways that things can be done. I built the driver for it as well (similar to the one on Rog's site), but I think it can be improved. I'm not getting the full potential of the diode. I'm not an electronic expert, but I'm trying to expand my knowledge base.

Mostly, I've just having fun. :D