Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hi everyone, I've been interested in lasers ever since finding a job in electro optics at a...

Zone47

big tech company down in Dallas Tx. way back in the 80s. This was military stuff but I built and aligned ND Yag IR range finder / target designator lasers. It was an interesting job. I worked in a clean room and they actually paid me to learn about eye safety, different optical properties, how to align for maximum power, cooling systems, beam divergence and a bunch of other cool stuff. In our spare time we'd sometimes find stuff to blast or melt. It was actually a dangerous job for a 21 y/o kid.

So I've been out of lasers for years but then got sucked into these new fangled high powered Cree LED flashlights. From there I found the cheap-o red 650 nm laser pointers and then discovered the blue, green and purple on YouT0ob ... and all relatively cheap!!! I knew what I had to do.

Several Youtubers dropped this forum's name and it inspired me to look it up. Hopefully I can learn more about building/updating/refining modern lasers and how to have fun with them while putting safety first! Thanks for having me.

Last edited:

Welcome to the LPF. Hope you enjoy your stay and can possibly learn something about the lasers we build here.

Great to see people still Joining! I just came back from a break since 2014 and I am blown away with how much the prices have dropped on all these new and beautiful wavelengths :cool:

Welcome aboard.
Laser science has certainly progressed a lot since the 80's. The majority of stuff here at LPF is with diode lasers, however there are still a bunch of people interested in the other laser types. Given your professional introduction to lasers I assume you were introduced to the safety concerns.
Stay safe and enjoy.