Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hey i'm new and wanted sum help to make a laser

Splex

Hey, im obviously new, and first off, this is so crazy, didnt know lasers acually burned stuff, ai thought it was james bond crap.... anyways, if any1 could give me a guide, or a link to a guide tat would allow me to make a decently powerful laser for about 15-20$. i am hoping that i can ignite different materials. Is there a way to incorperate the hoimemade lazer into a nice casing? I have an airgun that i would like to attach it to for perfect accuracy, and if i could see it in daylight that would be sick

hit me with anything u have, im pretty hands on and technical, so building it shouldnt really be a problem, but i havent found any substantial guides on how to do it... Im sure that there is a lot of good info here.

Thanks

Re: Hey i'm new and wanted sum help to make a lase

15-20 bucks? That's pretty stingy. Unless you are an electronics master, you probably won't get a good burning laser from that.

Splex

hmm oh well :( lol im poor right now haha, thanks man

If you already have the parts you might be able to get away with it.

Got an old DVD burner lying around that you don't need? Because if you do, you've already got the diode, and with some DIY brilliance you could hack out a burning laser for $20. Wouldn't look pretty, as you wouldn't be able to get a proper case, but it would work.

I suggest you just hit search and go look around for other peoples experiences with making a DIY laser out of a DVD burner :)

chido

Get a diode preinstalled in an aixiz module here.
Build this driver, here's a video tutorial.
If you don't want to make it you can buy one, either this or this driver.
Get yourself a good heatsink.
And that's it, you know have 200mW+ laser capable of lightning matches, cutting electrical tape, popping ballons, and burning the hell out of anything you want. ;D

I hate to be a spoilsport here, but you should really invest $50-$100 in some protective goggles if you plan on handling a powerful laser... It only takes a hundredth of a second (much faster than you can blink) to cause yourself permanent damage, and in the long run your eyesight is worth a lot more than that.

If you aren't very good with electronics, you can pick up a much-less-powerful-but-still-impressive 30-50mw green laser from http://dealextreme.com for about $30. - you should be able to pop dark coloured balloons with it, maybe light matches with the help of a lens.

chido

Crap, I can not believe I forgot the goggles, get the WL 650nm lasershades for red lasers. (this is the only good product WL sells, do not buy anything else)