Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Hercules 300

:)
I just got a used  Hercules 300  and I need some help on finding rechargeable batteries or some type of battery modification for it--It uses 3xD(1.5v)batteries output=4.5Volts-- Does anyone know  of any  type or make of rechargeable D cell batteries, that will fit the Herc 300 and put out the right 1.5 volts each ,because most of the D cells I've found only charge to 1.2 or 1.3 volts ---Or is there any type of fairly simple battery modification that can be done, meaning is there some way to use 1 or 2 batteries that produce the correct voltage (4.5v) or slightly over ? Thanks for your help  

ohada

Hi,

I'm not sure about #2 and #3, as for #1:

There are rechargeable D batteries, you can buy such batteries and chargers in www.onlybatteries.com, although they're not cheap.
You also have an option of using AA batteries inside a size converter to D-size, you can buy such converters at www.dealextreme.com, but AA batteries will last much less than D batteries you will need to recharge often (give the same output power though for the same voltage).

Ohad

Don't waste your time with the AA/D converters (I know, I tried them in my Herc 350) - the hercs draw a lot of power due to the internal cooling fan and the life of the AA's is minutes at best.

I tried some of the Juice brand rechargeable D's and was disappointed too - they have an OK lifespan but they charge up at 1.2-1.3v so your power will suffer, I've been looking for some 1.5v rechargeable D's myself but almost all are 1.2v (even though some of them will recharge to 1.6v they dropoff so fast from what I've read on other forums,etc that they just aren't worth it) ...

Right now I'm just buying Energizers in bulk from a local security distributor (they sell discounted bulkpacks for security guards who use them in their Maglites, etc) - 24 of them runs me (IIRC) like $17 so you might want to poke around locally and see if you can find a similar deal (shipping from just about anywhere is a killer due to the size and weight of the batteries).

As to accessories, Email Laserglow (Justin) and he'll send you a list of what's available, some of the accessories, parts, etc aren't listed on their site (extra keys, plugs, etc) - They sell the x10dr expander for $439 ($289 if you are the original purchaser of your hercules and can provide original order date and sn#) here: http://www.laserglow.com/index.php?x10dr - another pretty cool toy I have is the final lens assembly from an American DJ Topaz stage lighting fixture (see pic), you can but the older Topaz lights on fleabay for like $50 (or less if they aren't working) and removing the final lens is a snap, it's within about 2mm of the hercs diameter and actually looks like it was made for it, it gives you an incredibly expanded "flood" beam (think 150ft green circle on low-lying clouds, 8ft green circle at 250ft, etc) and while the optics are far from "laser quality" it's a lot of fun that doesn't look hokey for well under $50 if you're lucky!

And finally, most importantly, GET SOME EYE PROTECTION, the herc (even the little ones) can cause permanent, immediate damage (some not readily noticeable) even when reflected, watching the burning spot, etc ...

Attachments

• herc_lens.jpg
    herc_lens.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 137
Oops, almost forgot - Justin should be able to hook you up with a manual too, you can email him via the LG site or PM him here on the forums. Also, he's very nice at cross-referencing your herc by serial number to give you the original testing specs, etc as well as letting you know which pump diode you have, the 2w or the 2.5 (there is a common practice of people using the current info off the LG site when selling hercs on Ebay, Craigslist, etc to make people think they're getting a current 2.5w model, whem in actuality it was jsut about a year ago when LG swapped from the 2w so if a used herc is a year or more older, it's best to check and confirm, also unless you recieved the original "removal voids warranty" spec sticker, etc...)

As an example, my herc was "supposedly" 443mW peak 358mW avg but I didn't get the original datasheet, just a piece of paper that the previous owner had written the info down on so I contacted Justin who cross-referenced it and turns out the real specs were 503/378, and "whew" I also had a model with the 2.5w diode - turned out for the best, and knowing the actual specs is just an email away!

Happy Herc'n - now go get goggles for yourself and anyone else you plan on letting near that thing, or a white cane, your choice!

;D ;D ;D  BCM; I'd already sent a PM to you B4 , I read your reply to my request for Herc 300 Help!--
Thanks, 202bigmike  :-[

:) :)  OHADA ; Thanks for your reply and info on the battery request for the Herc 300---202bigmike  ;)