Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HeNE questions (Basic)

First I have one bare tube a Toshiba LG-3217 mW? (Taken from a Laser Disc player) Power supply was shot. Did light next to an RF source.

Second one purchased from Ebay with power supply.
5 mW Melles Griot Laser LHP-123-496

Can I use the same power supply for both, just change them out? Assuming the Toshiba lases. The resistor is still attached and I believe that would keep it to the right power for this tube?
The connectors are different, I need an Arden??

Last question. Can I use a 12 volt camcorder battery for power 500 ma's?

Sorry for the ??'s but just trying out gas lasers and have very little experience.

Tips, advice?

The Toshiba will do 2-3mW max depending on the condition. The Melles is a 2mW model.

You should be able to use the same supply for both, they are each approximately the same size.

You can use the battery, however, it would be advisable to use a 12V supply because it will not loose charge.

First I have one bare tube a Toshiba LG-3217 mW? (Taken from a Laser Disc player) Power supply was shot. Did light next to an RF source.

Second one purchased from Ebay with power supply.
5 mW Melles Griot Laser LHP-123-496

Can I use the same power supply for both, just change them out? Assuming the Toshiba lases. The resistor is still attached and I believe that would keep it to the right power for this tube?
The connectors are different, I need an Arden??

Last question. Can I use a 12 volt camcorder battery for power 500 ma's?

Sorry for the ??'s but just trying out gas lasers and have very little experience.

Tips, advice?

You need a brick Power Supply Unit(PSU). 12 VDC with a ballast resistor will not light up a Helium Neon Laser tube. That tube will need at least 1000 VDC at very low amperage to lase.

To get a PSU, look on Ebay or PM member "Heruusciences". He (Chris) supplied me with mine.

You need to be careful with that kind of voltage. Good luck getting it going.

Steve

Krutz

steve, he already has a psu, from one of the two lasers. good luck, alshere, and welcome to the forum!

manuel

Thanks. I have both tubes lit and progressing into 1 lamp. The other??? Oh well can't have to many lasers.

Al