Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HeNe PS woes..[solved] photo update:JDSU 1135P dissection/decanned

Yeah, I see those on eBay Pop up once and a while but never pulled the trigger. Then you can go bigger, Much bigger but those typically run on three phase power and are a grand plus. Temping though. Some day. I think someone here also added the large units always need optic adjustments and really are a headache. Something uV would be cool as long as the tube was healthy. How often do those Pop up?

You mean a UV HeCd in working condition? Those are "glow in the dark unicorns". I've yet to see a listing for a working one with matching psu.

He meant a uv argon. :p

though true HeCds come in uv too. Though in small numbers. I've yet to see another one other than mine that does UV and is in reasonable shape/has notable hours left. They'd just so fragile and finicky... pretty big too.

He meant a uv argon. :p

though true HeCds come in uv too. Though in small numbers. I've yet to see another one other than mine that does UV and is in reasonable shape/has notable hours left. They'd just so fragile and finicky... pretty big too.

Oh, I apologize for a post that wasn't very descriptive.

Starting out in the post I was referring to large Argon krypton units like the spectra physics 2080 or a coherent innova. They are large multiline units. I think they are some what reasonable priced sometimes but they are god awfully heavy and a pain to ship. / not practical. That being said I would be awe struck to see a 7+ watt cyan beam:)

Second part. A low power Hene Uv tube wouldn't be bad to own but I don't see them often. Admittedly I haven't looked hard.

Second part. A low power Hene Uv tube wouldn't be bad to own but I don't see them often. Admittedly I haven't looked hard.

No worries.

HeNe don't come in UV, sadly. Though the Ne atoms do have a UV line. HeHg, HeCd, N2, ArIon, XeIon, and Xe Eximer are your choices for direct UV. HeCd being the most affordable generally (though a UV ArIon could conceivably be similarly priced). HeHg UV is experimental only (read: made once in a lab in the early days of lasers), iirc.

Actually HeHg lases green primarily, not UV. Though it also will do orange at different pressure. Argon ion and He-Cd lase UV pretty readily...Xenon ion and He-Se have lots of lines everywhere. unless it's an excimer then it does deep UV.

Source: personal experience :)

Dave had an He-Cd for sale awhile back. I wonder if that FS Thread is still active. I'd like to utilize it with my UV dyes

He has a 442 liconix for sale yes. Try PMing him. Lots of blue ones around. If you need a UV, it'll cost you in spades...If you can find one that's still working.

@UltimateKaiser

HeHg can be made to lase at the 365, 405, 425, 546, and the yellow (I forget the lambda) lines, it's just a matter of the mirrors and fill pressure. AFAIK it can't do the lower lines as the Hg gas is opaque to them. It's been a long time since I read the old declassified docs on HeHg.

Oh, and I forgot about HeSe, you're right. =)

Got any pics from your hands on with a HeHg?

Last edited:
welll....kinda. depends on alot of factors like with HeNes. the mirrors are only part of the magic. rapid pulse continuous flow HeHg lasers can do a variety of lines in the blue and green I think and possibly a few UV lines. but a sealed HeHg running CW will only do 567.7 and 615 variant on pressure and gas ratio. At least as far as I've ever seen or read. the one that I was shown long ago did 615 orange and had to be regassed frequently because the electrodes degrade very fast. they were never a great laser, hence why they were never mass produced.

Last edited: