Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

HeNe Power Supply Help

Okay, I need help with HeNe power supplies. I have acquired a few HeNe tubes over time, whenever I see a great deal I'll buy them, planning on selling them later. However, my problem is, I've never even USED a HeNe Tube before, and I'm starting to build up quite a collection. Now while looking at some power supplies, I realized that it's quite a bit more complicated than an argon laser's PS. I didn't expect it to be super easy, but I need to know what the correct way to set up and get power to the PS. My initial thought was to use a variac, but I want to know if there's a correct or easier way to do this. Also, sorry if this is a complete n00b post, I found one like it, but pics were removed and so it was useless to me. I don't expect you guys to spoon feed me either, so just ignore/delete this if it is just another "How kinekt pwer?" post. :eek:

It's a fairly complex subject; the matching of powesupplies to HeNe tubes. You need to match the minimum required voltage of the tube, the current range of the tube, and the operational range of the power supply.

For example:
a standard MG 05-LHR-911 you need >1250V +HV pulse start @ 3.8-5.5mA, usually happiest around 4.5mA. It will run fine on a 2450V power supply. Not all tubes will run on 3.8mA, and old tubes may require >4.5mA.

Greens/Yellows tend to run at higher currents, and almost always require higher voltages since voltage is related to tube length, and being low gain lines they need longer tubes.

Thanks for the help, I am trying to get a yellow tube to work, so it's nice to know that they need that higher current. But what I was really after was the method of connecting the power supply to power, (such as a variac.) Or can they run directly from the mains? :thanks:

Oh. That depends directly on the individual power supply. Post a pic!

Sadly, I don't actually have one yet :whistle:. However, this is the one I'm looking at getting: Link

Will do if I run into any more problems :D. Thanks again for all your guys' help, the wealth of knowledge here still boggles my mind!