Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Helpful charger info

*Scroll down to the bottom for highly recommended batteries.*

For those investing in lasers that use 18650, Cr123s, or any other relative battery, most people like to make sure a good charger is bought to compliment their laser and batteries.

I was at first poking around here for answers to what is a nice charger to have, and most seem to like their their F-139's(usually ultrafire) at a cheap price.
(usually 9$)

But a stern look at candlepowerforums, your major flashlight/electronics forum, the experts and users their reccomend not using these F-139s. Some say the ultrafires are fine, but most warn against it.

These chargers work well as far as charging the battery to full, but the issue arrives when the chargers overcharge the battery, which can lead to short battery life. Most chargers have an end result charge of about 4.22-4.23v, which is higher than the recommended 4.2v. One enthusiast also did some research, and found that the charger would actually charge his battery to !4.3V!(VERY HARMFUL), and once reached, the charger would relax abit, the battery would come down to about 4.22v, and the red charge light would goes to green to indicate charging complete, as the "4.22v end result" that most see. So the maximum point of voltage can actually occur before the charge is over, resulting in very harmful charge to your battery.

As you can clearly see, most the F-139 chargers that act like this will quickly end the life of your battery, and waste your money. Fortunately, there is a charger of about 49$ (if you live in the US), that performs great charge(ends average of 4.18-4.2v, and no spike in the middle of the charge), and is recommended by many enthusiasts to prolong the life of your sacred batteries. In this thread you can see many people recommending the Pila IBC over the F-139.
Best 18650 cells, charger, and internet vendor? - CandlePowerForums
and
Best 18650 cells, charger, and internet vendor? - CandlePowerForums

Now if you dont have the money, would rather a charger 40$ cheaper, a F-139 will suit you, but if you do, YOU MUST USE PROTECTED BATTERIES, otherwise your batteries will be likely to explode or die.

So dont get me wrong, this charger can be used, but only carefully, and with protected batteries (granted your batteries will have a shorter lifespan than those of the Pila IBC).

Also on the forums, the most highly recommended type/brand of batteries is AW's LiIon Batteries. They always have good results, and is a forum favorite. Here is a link to these batteries.
AW's LiIon Batteries Sales Thread *Part 10* - CPFMarketPlace

Hope most of you find this useful!

Last edited:

D

Deleted member 8382

I use the cheap Chinese charger on dealextreme and it works perfect for 5$ o.0

I use the cheap Chinese charger on dealextreme and it works perfect for 5$ o.0

Its possible a cheap good charger can happen, though if this charger works like you say it does im surprised it isn't all over candleforums. have you monitored the charge on your batteries all the way through the charge to make sure it doesn't spike somewhere in between?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 8382

Well, not really.

The only thing I know is that the battery+charger combo is under 10$, and that for the price of that charger I'll be able to buy about 10 batteries if the charger really destroys them xD

No really, it charge them to 4.12V, I haven't checked for spikes :/

Yours,
Albert

Well, not really.

The only thing I know is that the battery+charger combo is under 10$, and that for the price of that charger I'll be able to buy about 10 batteries if the charger really destroys them xD

No really, it charge them to 4.12V, I haven't checked for spikes :/

Yours,
Albert

and this combination of batteries and charger works just as well in your laser as other types? Cuz another thing i like about good quality is it gives you the absolute max mw on your laser, if these are just as good at getting the laser to that point, I might actually want to purchase these. :evil:

I think you should post your "find" on candleforums and see what they have to say about it.

aXit

Lithium batteries can easily put out a few amps of current, unless you're using a very powerful laser, that shouldn't be the issue.

Performance in the capacity category on the other hand....

Lithium batteries can easily put out a few amps of current, unless you're using a very powerful laser, that shouldn't be the issue.

Performance in the capacity category on the other hand....

I figured as much...But if you have a charger, capacity shouldn't be an issue :san: